[asia-apec 923] SUARAM UPDATE ON MALAYSIA (fwd)

PAN Asia Pacific panap at panap.po.my
Thu Nov 26 14:42:49 JST 1998

FORWARDED MAIL -------
From: suaram at geocities.com
Date: 25 Nov 98
Originally To: fidh at csi.com

SUARAM UPDATE: 26 November 1998

1. ISA Arrest

- Mr. Zulkefli Othman has been confirmed to be detained under the
Internal Security Act.

2. Remand of Tian Chua and two others.

Tian Chua's lawyer, M. Puravalen, has put in an application for a
revision of the magistrates decision, citing illegal detention (re:
24 hours dateline) among reasons, to High Court judge Patail. It
was rejected (surprise!) and the lawyers vow to continue their
appeal.

Tian Chua was also taken to INSAN office and a search of his room
was conducted and some documents were confiscated. One of SUARAM's
staff was able to meet and converse with him.

He was told by Tian Chua that the police have transferred him to
another lock-up cell, away from others detained for alleged illegal
gathering.

He was also hit by a police officer on one side of his face this
morning. The SUARAM staff was able to examine the insides of his
mouth and found some cuts. Tian Chua's shirt collar was also
spotted with dried blood. There was no evidence of bruising or
swelling

3. SUARAM's concerns

We are concerned that Tian Chua, aside from selectively persecuted,
may face more bodily harm. This stems from one earlier police report
which he made and described in detail how he was beaten up when he
was first arrested on 24th September, 1998.  (please check our
website)

We are also concerned that as soon as his remand is finished, he may
be detained under the Internal Security Act. This has happened to at
least 2 other men in the last few weeks.

We urge you to take immediate action, so as to ensure the safety,
well-being and the immediate release of Tian Chua, and the other
detainees.

We wish to thank all the numerous actions, letters, emails and faxes
that we had received on behalf of Tian Chua. Especially those who had
taken time to picket. Please keep the pressure up! We are touched by
your solidarity and support, and together with all of you, we will
see a better tomorrow in Malaysia.

Thank you.

In solidarity,

Elizabeth Wong

Coordinator

SUARAM

<bold>--------------------------------------------------------

ABOLISH I.S.A.! MANSUHKAN I.S.A!

SIGN JUST WORLD'S

WHITE RIBBON/SIGNATURE

CAMPAIGN FOR JUSTICE!

http://www.jaring.my/just

Anniversary of the

Universal Declaration of Human Rights, please urge our

Malaysian government to ratify the International Covenant

on Civil and Political Rights, and the International

Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.

SUARA RAKYAT MALAYSIA (SUARAM)

in Malaysia

</italic></paraindent>

add:    11, Jalan 1A/71E, Jalan Carey,