[asia-apec 920] ACTION ALERT UPDATE: TIAN CHUA

Robert Reid rreid at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Nov 26 06:31:06 JST 1998

ASIA PACIFIC WORKERS SOLIDARITY LINKS

ACTION ALERT UPDATE

ARREST OF TIAN CHUA AND TWO OTHERS IN KUALA LUMPUR

Thank you to all those who have undertaken solidarity action in response to
the arrest of Tian Chua and (we now understand) two others late on Saturday
21 November 1998.

Please find below updates that have been prepared by the Malaysian Human
Rights organisation, SUARAM.  As you can see from their reports Tian has
already been been beaten.  Also he was not brought to Court within 24 hours
of his arrest which is a requirement under Malaysian law.  We urge you to
continue to put pressure on the Malysian Government by writing letters,
contacting your local Malaysian Embassy or Consul or asking the Foreign
Ministry of your own country (with the exception of the USA) to take up
with the Malaysian Government the matter of the arrest of Tian and the two
others and the continuing use of the ISA in Malaysia.

Further updates on the situation of Tian and the unfolding situation in
Malaysia can be obtained from the SUARAM web site:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1577

Thanks

Asia Pacific Workers Solidarity Links (APWSL)
P.O. Box 11-123, Wellington, New Zealand
Tel / Fax: 64-4-389 5399
E-mail:  <rreid at actrix.gen.nz>

--------------------------------------

URGENT APPEAL: What you can do for "Tian Chua and 2 others" case

SUARAM is urging all NGOs and individuals to take immediate action on the
arrest of Tian Chua and two others on Saturday 21st November at Kampung
Baru. (Please refer to prvious postings for more deatils of the arrest)
Tian Chua's present detention is viewed as arbitary and a form of
political persecution. Furthermore, a dangerous precedent that is
unlawful and unconstitutional has been set, where Tian and the others
were kept for more than 24 hours without being brought to the
Magistrate's Court until Monday 23rd November 1998.

SUARAM urges you to protest and take immediate action by writing letters
or faxing to the appropriate authorities. We also encourage other forms
of peaceful protest. We suggest that you include the following demands
among those others that you may like to make:

· To release all those arrested in the streets immediately, or charge
them immediately;

· To ensure that there will be no political crackdown or persecution of
supporters of the Reformation movement, opposition parties and NGO
activists;

· To demand that the Malaysian government reaffirm its commitment to
democratic principles by allowing people to freely and openly voice their
opinions, especially those calling for more democracy and reforms;

· To immediately and unconditionally release all ISA detainees or charge
them in court;

· To abolish the Internal Security Act;

· To condemn and urge for the immediate halt in excessive use of police
force that has resulted only in violence.

Please send your appeals to the following people:

Datuk Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohammad
Prime Minister's Department
Jalan Dato Onn
50502 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Fax: 60-3-2984172, 2383784

Tan Sri Rahim Noor,
Inspector-General of Police
Ibu Pejabat Polis Persekutuan,
Bukit Aman,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Fax: 603-2910707

OCPD Zainal Abidin Ali
Dang Wangi Police Station
Jalan Stadium
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Fax: 603-2023237

Please also send your letter of protest to Malaysia's diplomatic
representative in your country.

Please send copies of your letter to SUARAM office for our documentation.

END

---------------------

SUARAM UPDATE: 26 November 1998

1. ISA Arrest

- Mr. Zulkefli Othman has been confirmed to be detained under the Internal
Security Act.

2. Remand of Tian Chua and two others.

Tian Chua's lawyer, M. Puravalen, has put in an application for a revision
of the magistrates decision, citing illegal detention (re: 24 hours
dateline) among reasons, to High Court judge Patail. It was rejected
(surprise!) and the lawyers vow to continue their appeal.

Tian Chua was also taken to INSAN office and a search of his room was
conducted and some documents were confiscated. One of SUARAM's staff was
able to meet and converse with him.

He was told by Tian Chua that the police have transferred him to another
lock-up cell, away from others detained for alleged illegal gathering.

He was also hit by a police officer on one side of his face this morning.
The SUARAM staff was able to examine the insides of his mouth and found
some cuts. Tian Chua's shirt collar was also spotted with dried blood.
There was no evidence of bruising or swelling

3. SUARAM's concerns

We are concerned that Tian Chua, aside from selectively persecuted, may
face more bodily harm. This stems from one earlier police report which he
made and described in detail how he was beaten up when he was first
arrested on 24th September, 1998. (please check our website)

We are also concerned that as soon as his remand is finished, he may be
detained under the Internal Security Act. This has happened to at least 2
other men in the last few weeks.

We urge you to take immediate action, so as to ensure the safety,
well-being and the immediate release of Tian Chua, and the other detainees.

We wish to thank all the numerous actions, letters, emails and faxes that
we had received on behalf of Tian Chua. Especially those who had taken time
to picket. Please keep the pressure up! We are touched by your solidarity
and support, and together with all of you, we will see a better tomorrow in
Malaysia.

Thank you.

In solidarity,

Elizabeth Wong
Coordinator
SUARAM

-------------------------------------

STATUTORY DECLARATION

I, Wong Keat Ping, (Elizabeth) (K/P 700309-08-6306) of 11, Jalan 1A/71E,
Jalan Carey, 46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, hereby solemnly and sincerely
declare as follows:

I met up with Mr. Chua Tian Chang (Chua) and Mr. Tang Siong Ying (Tang)
along Jalan Raja Alang, near the 7-11 store at around 11:00 p.m. on the
evening of Saturday Nov. 21st. We walked up Jalan Alang to the
intersection of Jalan Raja Abdullah, that led us to a group of
journalists and friends. It was close to the Kampung Baru mosque. When we
arrived there, most of the journalists were getting ready to leave. I
chatted with my housemate, Ms. Mages, and decided that I should go back
together with her.

I saw Chua, Tang and Michael Kourdeff from the Australian High Commission
walk away. I yelled out to ask where they were going. One of them
answered they would be back shortly. That was about 11:45 p.m.

I sat on the ground and continued chatting with my friends when suddenly
I saw Chua pushed and pulled by a group of men. I saw one of them holding
and dragging him by his t-shirt collar.

I walked towards Chua in order to find out what was happening. I heard
Chua shouting, "Am I under arrest?" I was prevented from going near him
by one man who pushed me. There was also a long-haired woman who grabbed
my left arm. She screamed at me, "Go away, or they will arrest you." I
was 2 metres from the police truck and Chua. From where I was standing, I
saw several men half-dragging and shoving Chua into the police truck.

By this time, Tang was next to me. I heard him asking a Chinese man to
identify himself. The man answered, "Cheah". Both Tang and I asked him
why he had detained Chua. He repeatedly answered, "Orders from my boss."

I went back to my friends and sat on the ground. A couple of minutes
later, a man beckoned me to him and gave me a bunch of car-keys. I looked
up and Chua nodded to indicate that it belonged to me. I went forward a
few steps and asked him where his car was. He yelled out something but it
was inaudible. The police prevented me from going any closer to hear him.
I went back to my corner again and sat on the ground once more.

Some minutes later, I saw some journalists stir and looked towards the
police truck. I got up and saw a man inside the police truck with his
hands all over Chua. This grabbing went on for about a minute.

I saw a white van, number plate WCV 1323 reversing towards the back of
the police truck.  A group of men surrounded Chua and proceeded to take
him out of the truck and towards the side of the van. I moved to the
other side of the van and the window was opened. I was positioned
directly in front of the side door of the van, where I could see Chua.

A man attempted to push me away from where I was standing. I heard Chua
shouting, "Why are you punching me?". I was horrified to see a tall man,
with a vest, punching Chua on the side of his right stomach. The other
men held on to Chua and attempted to pushed him into the van. I saw a
minor scuffle occur between the men and Chua. A man next to me said,
"Nothing to see, nothing to see." I replied, "What do you mean nothing to
see, that man just punched my friend!". He tried to push me away.

By this time, Chua had already left in the van. A bespectacled man came
up to me and said "Fuck you". I asked, "What was that?" He replied,
"Nothing." And walked towards the police truck.

I yelled out and said, "How dare you swear at me?" The man who was now
about a metre away, shouted "Fuck you." He repeated it loudly several
times. I saw there were at least a dozen men between me and the man who
was swearing. None of them did anything. Again the woman tugged my arm.

I yelled back, "Who are you? I don't take kindly to people swearing at
me." Tang who was next to me now, asked "Who are you? Identify yourself."
Tang pulled me aside.  A man on my left side, came out, and yelled at
that man, "Who are you? Gangster-ke?" Tang pulled me away.

As there was nothing left to do, I left with Tang and Mike to check if
Chua was brought to Jalan Stadium Dang Wangi police station.

At the police station, I saw Chua, handcuffed and led to a building. I
waited with several of his friends for a while. In time, I saw Chua taken
into a police van and Tang went forward and spoke to him. I heard Tang
ask Chua, if he had been beaten. I did not hear Chua's answer. Tang then
shouted out to me, "Take down this name, Syed Fadil."

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to
be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declaration Act
1960.

Subscribed and solemnly declared by the abovenamed

WONG Keat Ping (Elizabeth)	)

At Kuala Lumpur in the state of 	)

Wilayah Persekutuan		)

On 23rd, November 1998		)

---------------------------------------

ABOLISH I.S.A.!      MANSUHKAN I.S.A!

SIGN JUST WORLD'S  WHITE RIBBON / SIGNATURE

CAMPAIGN FOR JUSTICE!

http://www.jaring.my/just

-------------------------------------

On the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights, please urge our Malaysian government to ratify the
International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and the International
Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.

SUARA RAKYAT MALAYSIA (SUARAM)
struggling for human rights in Malaysia

11, Jalan 1A/71E, Jalan Carey,
46000 Petaling Jaya,