[asia-apec 932] Joint Statement on Mrs. Miranda and other Detained OFWs

arnel f. de guzman arnel at freemail.webquest.com
Thu Nov 26 16:19:02 JST 1998

JOINT STATEMENT
November 25, 1998

IMMEDIATE FREEDOM FOR VIOLETA
FAIR TRIAL FOR DETAINED OFWs

 We, concerned individuals and representatives of non-governmental
 organizations (NGOs), gathered today to raise our collective voices
 to seek the freedom of our compatriot, Mrs. Violeta Miranda, a
 Filipina nurse currently detained at the Al Nisa Jail in Riyadh,
 Saudi Arabia. Recent reports stated that the Riyadh Investigation
 Commission has already recommended to the Riyadh Governor the release
 of Mrs. Miranda as it believes that the charges against her are
 unfounded. We earnestly ask the concerned Saudi authorities through
 the Saudi Ambassador to the Philippines, His Excellency Saleh Al
 Ghamdi, to expedite the release of Mrs. Miranda. If it is Mrs.
 Miranda's wish to stay in the country for good, we also ask the
 Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) to render all
 necessary assistance in order for Mrs. Miranda and her family to live
 decently in the Philippines.

 We are equally concerned with the safety of two other Filipinos
 detained in connection with the case of Mrs. Miranda. Mr. Jerry Roxas
 and Ms. Leonora Jimeno are facing charges that carry the death
 penalty in Saudi Arabia. We ask that a speedy and fair trial be given
 them, with full assistance from the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh.

 Knowing fully that the cases of Mrs. Miranda and Ms. Jimeno are just
 but two of thousands of cases involving Filipino women migrant
 workers, we pledge to continue working systematically for other
 disadvantaged women migrant workers. As of June 1998, the Department
 of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has reported that a total of 936 overseas
 Filipino workers (OFWs) are under detention in various jails
 worldwide.  We think this figure is grossly underestimated. We are
 combining our meager resources to monitor, research, lobby, and
 campaign for abused, detained, maltreated fellow Filipinos working
 abroad. This will be a pro-active and long-term campaign to ensure
 that Filipino workers work with dignity and human rights in foreign
 lands.

Original signed:
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL- PHILIPPINES
ATENEO HUMAN RIGHTS CENTER
SOCORRO BALLESTEROS
GRAZIANO BATTISTELLA (SCALABRINI MIGRATION CENTER)
COALITION AGAINST TRAFFICKING OF WOMEN (CATW)
ALMA CONCEPCION (Movie Actress)
CONCERNED FILIPINOS OF AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
CONCERNED WOMEN OF AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
ATTY. MILABEL CRISTOBAL
DELIVERY OF JUSTICE TO DISADVANTAGED WOMEN COALITION PROJECT (DAW)
DEVELOPMENT ACTION FOR WOMEN'S NETWORK (DAWN)
 EPISCOPAL COMMISSION ON MIGRANTS AND ITINERANT PEOPLE (CBCP)
INSTITUTE ON CHURCH AND SOCIAL ISSUES (ICSI)
 KAIBIGAN (FRIENDS OF FILIPINO MIGRANT WORKERS, INC.)
 KAIBIGAN- BICOL
LEGAL ASSISTANCE TO WOMEN, INC. (LAW, INC.)- DAW
 PINOY OVERSEAS PARTY (POP)
 PHILIPPINE GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES ASSOCIATION (PGEA)- DAW
 ATTY. MARY JANE REAL
 MS. TESS RUEDA
 UNITED FILIPINO SEAFARERS
 WOMEN IN DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION