[asia-apec 1109] rafi@rafi.org, rafican@web.apc.org, beb@igc.apc.org, sun@igc.org, prangtip@samart.co.th, grain@baylink.mozcom.com, acfgenet@peg.apc.org

PAN Asia Pacific panap at panap.po.my
Tue May 4 17:13:01 JST 1999

Pesticide Action Network (PAN) Asia and the Pacific

Press Release                                               May 2, 1999

rBGH Unlikely to be Registered in New Zealand

New Zealand High Commission's First Secretary in Kuala Lumpur
Unofficially States "No Registration of rBGH" during meeting with
Activists

At a meeting on Friday April 30th, the First Secretary of the New
Zealand High Commission in Kuala Lumpur, Robyn Bickford, stated
"unofficially" that the recombinant bovine growth hormone, rBGH,
"is not registered, and is unlikely to be registered" in New
Zealand. This was the response she claimed she had received upon
"making enquiries" with relevant officials in New Zealand,
including the Ministry of Agriculture.

The first secretary made these comments in response to a meeting
with representatives of the Malaysian Vegetarian Society (MVS) and
Pesticide Action Network Asia and the Pacific (PAN AP). Both groups
had approached the High Commission to vigorously protest the
possible registration of the genetically engineered bovine growth
hormone (rBGH) for use in the New Zealand dairy industry.

Called upon to unhold New Zealand's claims of being "clean and
green" in its exports to other countries, Bickford commented that
"New Zealand is going towards being totally organic by the year
2020".

In the letter of protest sent to the New Zealand Minister of Food
and Fibre, John Luxton, MVS President Dr Wong Ang Peng stated: "We
view the threat of genetically engineered food as potentially more
dangerous than even nuclear contaminants.  We are very concerned
about the health implications of this growth hormone and we will be
advising consumers in our country not to buy New Zealand dairy
products, if this registration proceeds.  Hundreds of thousands of
vegetarians, people of various faiths especially Tao, Buddhism and
Hinduism, and also Malaysians from all walks of life who are very
health conscious, fully respect the views of our society".

"We do not have labelling requirements here (in Malaysia) and if the
application goes through, we will not be able to make an informed
choice when buying the products," argued PAN AP Safe Food Campaign
Coordinator, Jennifer Mourin, at the meeting.  Stressing that PAN AP
had also sent letters of concern to both the New Zealand High
Commission, and Ministry of Food and Fibre, Mourin handed over PAN
AP's Press Release on this issue to Ms Bickford.

Upon the First Secretaries "unofficial" comments, regarding the
"unlikelihood" of registering the growth hormone for use in New
Zealand, both MVS and PAN AP stressed that they would be awaiting
"official" responses from the Minister of Food and Fibre, and would
be holding the High Commission and Ministry to their assurances.
The groups pledged to continue action on the issue in the interim.

For further information contact:
Jennifer Mourin, Safe Food Campaign Coordinator, at PAN AP.
Tel: (604) 657 0271/656 0381.  Fax: (604) 657 7445  E-Mail:
panap at panap.po.my

Pesticide Action Network (PAN) Asia and the Pacific P.O. Box: 1170,
10850 Penang, Malaysia.  Tel: (604) 657 0271/656 0381.  Fax: (604) 657 7445
E-Mail: panap at panap.po.my     Homepage:  http://www.poptel.org.uk/panap/

Pesticide Action Network (PAN) is an international coalition of
citizen's groups and individuals who oppose the misuse and overuse
of pesticides, and support the reliance on safe and sustainable
alternatives.  PAN Asia and the Pacific (PAN AP) is the regional
office for Asia and the Pacific.  PAN AP prescribes to the
following development principles:  a participatory holistic
approach; a commitment to gender equity and genuine partnership;
the need to confront social injustice and global inequities; the
value of biodiversity, appropriate traditional and indigenous
knowledge systems; and the recognition that our earth is one
interdependent living system.