[asia-apec 493] Re: WTO: Japan sees APEC setting nasty precedent for next rou...

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Sun Jun 28 12:49:06 JST 1998

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:23:01 -0500
To: niel at iatp.org, sophia at iatp.org, karen at iatp.org, kristin at iatp.org
        ictsd <ictsd at iprolink.ch>, JBRIENZA at PILLSBURY.COM, jjbw at sprynet.com,
        steve at iatp.org,
        "Eliane.BARBAGLIA at delche.cec.eu.int" <Eliane.BARBAGLIA at delche.cec.eu.int>,
        "lwallach at citizen.org" <lwallach at citizen.org>,
        "mika at mb.kcom.ne.jp" <mika at mb.kcom.ne.jp>,
        gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz, vanroozendaal at pscw.uva.nl
From: "Mark Ritchie" <mritchie at iatp.org>
Subject: WTO: Japan sees APEC setting nasty precedent for next rou...

>From: Personal Agents <agents at inquisit.com>
>Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:19:16 -0700
>To: mritchie at iatp.org
>Subject: WTO: Japan sees APEC setting nasty precedent for next rou...
>

>      Japan sees APEC setting nasty precedent for next round of **WTO**
talks
>                             (Agence France-Presse; 06/24/98)

>    KUCHING, Malaysia, June 24 (AFP) - APEC trade ministers headed home
>Wednesday with an agreement to be "flexible" in early trade liberalisation
>which failed to accommodate Japanese demands to exclude certain sectors.
>
>   Delegates to a two-day meeting of ministers said the United States put
>intense pressure on developing members not to cave in to the Japanese
position,
> despite frantic last-minute lobbying by Japan.
>
>   The upshot was that Japan was alone in voicing objections to a statement
>issued by Malaysian Trade Minister Rafidah Aziz on Tuesday.
>
>   And in a symbol of its isolation, Japan's Trade Minister Mitsuo
Horiuchi was
> conspicuously absent from the joint ministerial news conference winding
up the
> meeting Tuesday, represented by two officials instead.
>
>   Japanese officials say they still have more than four months to thrash
out
>the final details of the "early voluntary sectoral liberalisation" plan
before
>APEC leaders meet in Kuala Lumpur in November.
>
>   And with APEC trade officials already scheduled to meet again in
Malaysia in
> September, US Trade Representative Charlene Barshefsky herself conceded
that
>it  was "way too early to devise a doomsday scenario about Japan's
>participation"  in the final deal.
>
>   In the meantime, the Japanese side is arguing that its position is not
>simply a refusal to open up trade in two politically sensitive sectors --
fish
>and forest products which range from furniture to pulp, paper and printed
>products -- but has wider global implications.
>
>   Malaysia's statement issued on behalf of APEC Tuesday is "prejudging the
>modality" for the next round of global trade talks in the World Trade
>Organisation (**WTO**), a senior Japanese official told AFP.
>
>   The official, who asked not to be named, said the United States had no
>mandate to push for tariff cuts in APEC and was therefore trying to get the
>sectoral approach adopted by the group and push this into the **WTO**.
>
>   But the quadrilateral group -- Japan along with Canada, the European
Union
>and the United States -- have only agreed on a "broad-based" approach.
>
>   ASEAN members of APEC want to focus on the unfinished areas of
agriculture
>and investment while Japan wants a "comprehensive" approach.
>
>   While this runs the risk of Japan coming under pressure to open
sensitive
>areas such as agriculture, the official said this was preferable to the
>sectoral approach as "we have a few concessions in our pocket" which could
be
>used as part of a comprehensive negotiating strategy.
>
>   "It's a jungle now. I think the APEC spirit has been spoiled," he said.
>
>   Japan's main objection to Malaysia's statement is that it explicitly
says
>that "all three measures" of trade liberalisation, facilitation and
cooperation
> should be applied to "each" of the nine high-priority sectors.
>
>   The statement says this is "essential to maintain the mutual benefits
and
>balance of interests" which leaders established in November last year when
they
> selected the nine sectors at their last summit in Vancouver.
>
>   Japan argues that the Malaysian statement goes beyond an APEC
ministerial
>agreement last year, which indicated greater bargainining ability with
members
>offering, for example, greater facilitation in one sector in exchange for
less
>liberalisation in another.
>
>   "Now the door has been closed," the Japanese official said.
>
>   US trade officials said the "emerging consensus" mentioned in the
Malaysian
>statement involved eliminating tariffs by 2006 in most of the nine high-
>priority sectors including fish and forest products.
>
>   The officials said APEC had also agreed to eliminate tariffs on
>environmental goods and services, although the "end date" was not fixed.
>
>   Among the remaining sectors, the officials said tariffs on gems and
>jewellery would be reduced to between zero and five percent by 2005, while
>chemicals would be subjected to tariff harmonisation -- by 10 percent and
below
> by 2001 and by 2004 for other rates.
>
>   In telecommunications, the ninth high-priority sector, APEC reached an
>accord on mutual recognition arrangements during a ministerial meeting in
>Singapore earlier this month.
>
>   ps/akp
>
>(Copyright 1998)
>
>                    _____via IntellX_____
>
>{A1:AgenceFrancePresse-0624.00742}   06/24/98

>[ ] Put an X here to receive a form through which you may inspect,
>    modify, or stop this Agent. {WTO}
>

>Questions? Email support at inquisit.com -- we're here to help!  Delivered
via the Inquisit(TM) business intelligence service
<http://www.inquisit.com>.  All articles Copyright 1998 by their respective
source(s); all rights reserved.  The information contained in this message
is for use by licensed Inquisit subscribers only and may not be forwarded,
distributed, published or broadcast in any medium.

Mark Ritchie, President
Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
2105 1st Ave. South,   Mpls, MN 55404 USA
612-870-3400 (direct),   612-870-4846 (fax)
mritchie at iatp.org      http://www.iatp.org