[asia-apec 492] Re: WTO: Malaysia Stresses Voluntarism

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Sun Jun 28 12:47:51 JST 1998

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:22:41 -0500
To: niel at iatp.org, sophia at iatp.org, karen at iatp.org, kristin at iatp.org
        ictsd <ictsd at iprolink.ch>, JBRIENZA at PILLSBURY.COM, jjbw at sprynet.com,
        steve at iatp.org,
        "Eliane.BARBAGLIA at delche.cec.eu.int" <Eliane.BARBAGLIA at delche.cec.eu.int>,
        "lwallach at citizen.org" <lwallach at citizen.org>,
        "mika at mb.kcom.ne.jp" <mika at mb.kcom.ne.jp>,
        gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz, vanroozendaal at pscw.uva.nl
From: "Mark Ritchie" <mritchie at iatp.org>
Subject: WTO: Malaysia Stresses Voluntarism

>From: Personal Agents <agents at inquisit.com>
>Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:19:20 -0700
>To: mritchie at iatp.org
>Subject: WTO: Malaysia Stresses Voluntarism
>

>                         Malaysia Stresses Voluntarism

>                      (Xinhua English Newswire; 06/22/98)

>   Malaysia Monday said the principles of voluntarism and flexibility
should be
> maintained in implementing trade liberalization among Asia-Pacific
Economic
>Cooperation (APEC) members.
>
>   The liberalization should be based on the capacity of different members,
>especially related to the nine fast-track sectors chemicals, environmental
>goods and services, energy, fish and fish products, forest products, gems
and
>jewelry, medical equipment and instruments, toys and telecommunications
mutual
>recognition arrangement, Malaysian International Trade and Industry
Minister
>Rafidah Aziz told a news conference here Monday before the opening of the
APEC
>Trade Ministers meeting.
>
>   She said Malaysia, the host of the forthcoming annual Informal meeting
of
>APEC Leadership in November this year, subscribed to "progressive
>liberalization." "We should not be too ambitious," she stressed.
>
>   The nine sectors were identified under the Early Voluntary Sectoral
>Liberalization (EVSL) initiative.
>
>   She said the two-day trade ministers meeting which opens later Monday
will
>take stock of the progress of work including on EVSL, Individual/Collective
>Action Plans, Electronic Commerce and impact of trade liberalization as
well as
> provide directions for future work on the issues.
>
>   Besides the nine sectors which were set on fast-track, she said the
>ministers will also examine progress in the other six sectors automobiles,
>civil aircraft, food, natural and synthetic rubber, fertilizers and
oilseeds
>for liberalization.
>
>   The ministers will also have a dialogue with APEC Business Advisory
Council
>(ABAC) on the collective response of APEC to ABAC recommendations which
contain
> requests for measures to further liberalize and facilitate trade and
>investment, Rafidah said.
>
>   She said the ministers will consider also how APEC could make further
>contribution to the World Trade Organization (**WTO**) in light of the
outcome
>of  the Second **WTO** ministerial conference.
>
>   The APEC's Membership includes Australia, Brunei, Canada, China, Chinese
>Taibei, Chile, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico,
New
>Zealand, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and the
United
>States.
>
>(Copyright 1998)
>
>                    _____via IntellX_____
>
>{A4:XinhuaEnglishNewswire-0622.02658}   06/22/98

>[ ] Put an X here to receive a form through which you may inspect,
>    modify, or stop this Agent. {WTO}
>

>Questions? Email support at inquisit.com -- we're here to help!  Delivered
via the Inquisit(TM) business intelligence service
<http://www.inquisit.com>.  All articles Copyright 1998 by their respective
source(s); all rights reserved.  The information contained in this message
is for use by licensed Inquisit subscribers only and may not be forwarded,
distributed, published or broadcast in any medium.

Mark Ritchie, President
Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
2105 1st Ave. South,   Mpls, MN 55404 USA
612-870-3400 (direct),   612-870-4846 (fax)
mritchie at iatp.org      http://www.iatp.org