[sustran] Re: Guangzhou joins the list of cities in China with a quota for new vehicles

Michael Replogle michael.replogle at itdp.org
Tue Jul 3 18:16:10 JST 2012

Vehicle quota systems, especially linked to auctions as in Singapore or Shanghai that help finance better public transport, are a quite sensible way to manage the pressures of motorization that naturally accompany rising incomes in urban areas. Such quotas have worked far more effectively than license plate restriction systems, which spur purchases of 2nd cars. Vehicle quotas alone are not sufficient, but accompanied by parking management, attention to improvements for public transport, walking, and cycling, sound urban planning, effective traffic operations and road investment, they make very sound policy.

We need to begin treating urban traffic systems like ecological systems. When any species in an ecosystem grows too rapidly without check, it tends to unbalance the system and crowd out other species which may be better adapted to efficient exploitation of the resource base but which may lack defenses against the intruding more powerful species. Take for example what happens when excess nutrients are added to a coastal estuary, e.g., nitrogen runoff from factory farms and atmospheric nitrate deposition from motor vehicle and power plant  emissions. This feeds the growth of algae, which blooms in such profusion that it blocks the sunlight from reaching the sea grasses at the bottom. With the death of the grasses, there is a loss of habitat for many other species and oxygen levels fall, creating a toxic zone that kills off all but the simplest forms of life, such as the algae, which thrive as they face no competition for resources. The overall biological productivity of the ecosystem declines sharply, along with species diversity. Visibility in the water falls to inches as the filter feeders that strain out suspended particles are killed off.

So too it is when cheap oil, subsidies, policies favoring rapid motorization, and rising incomes lead to a sudden ride of motor vehicles, which crowd out walking and cycling and cause public transport system productivity to fall sharply as buses get stuck in traffic. This decreases the viability of alternatives to driving and leads to a self-reinforcing loop. Air pollution gets worse, decreasing visibility. People feel their choices constrained and the overall structure of the urban ecosystem changes to favor further the simple monoculture of motor vehicle use.

One can intervene to restore balance to such an ecosystem process in various ways. Reduce the nitrogen and nutrient inputs; create artificial reefs for the oysters and filter feeders; limit overfishing to enable restoration of population growth among the threatened species in the case of the estuary. Replace subsidies for motor fuels, roads, and sprawl with higher user fees or taxes that reflect the polluter pays and user pays full-cost-pricing principles; manage and price parking and street space to reduce the niches in which motor vehicles are highly attractive; set quotas on motor vehicle fleet size growth to check vehicle population growth; and expand right-of-way allocated and managed to favor walking, cycling, and public transport.

Michael Replogle
Managing Director for Policy & Founder
Institute for Transportation & Development Policy
1210 18th Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20036 USA

Tel: 202-552-3212 (Office)
        301-529-0351 (Mobile)
www.itdp.org | www.ourcitiesourselves.org

Promoting sustainable and equitable transportation worldwide