[sustran] Re: Guangzhou joins the list of cities in China with a quota for new vehicles

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:17:01 JST 2012

Agree with you Carlos.

We have a similar situation in India as you know. People will make any
excuses to postpone TDM - reasons of aspiration, rising incomes, rising
population (yes even that), expression of status, and now the economic
justification (a variation on "what's good for General Motors is good for
America") as India becomes the hub for manufacture of automobiles and and
auto ancillaries.
We need TDM NOW !!!! and each year we delay putting this in place we are
going to lose valuable urban assets, human lives and recognizable features
of our great cities.
--
Sujit

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Carlosfelipe Pardo
<carlosfpardo at gmail.com>wrote:

> With China's motorization rate, it's probably dumber not to do anything
> and keep thinking of any better solutions...  I think there are things
> that can definitely be improved, but if we wait and see how to do it (or
> wait for a policymaker in China to pay attention), we'll have those
> billions of cars sooner than we expected! The quotas are a first step
> towards a new agenda, or at least I see it that way.
>
> On 03/07/2012 01:47 a.m., eric britton wrote:
> > Oh dear, is that supposed to be good news?
> >
> > Economists of course do not love quotas. And while they are certainly
> not right all the time, there is often good sense in what they have to
> propose in the many similar circumstances.
> >
> > But let me ask you all this? Can you possibly tell me a worse way, a
> more primitive way, a dumber way to get this particular job done? I would
> very much like to see your list.
> >
> > And once we have that out of the way, what about making up a list of the
> many good ways that are available and proven that will get this
> demand/supply disequilibrium into better balance for the environment,
> society, the economy and life quality of all concerned.
> >
> > Now THAT is an interesting question.
> >
> > Eric Britton
> >

> > PS.  Please note new addresses and phone numbers as of 24 April 2012

> >    Francis  Eric Knight-Britton, Managing Director /  Editor
> >    New Mobility Partnerships   | World Streets  |  The Equity/Transport
> Project
> >    9, rue Gabillot   69003 Lyon France  |  T. +339 8326 9459| M. +336
> 5088 0787  | E. eric.britton at ecoplan.org   |  S. newmobility
> >    9440 Readcrest Drive. Los Angeles, CA  90210  |   Tel. +1 213  985
> 3501  |  eric.britton at newmobility.org  |  Skype: ericbritton
> >
> >  Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement

> > To search the archives of sustran-discuss visit
> > http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=014715651517519735401:ijjtzwbu_ss

> > SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
> (the 'Global South').

> (the 'Global South').

*It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
*

- J. Krishnamurti

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627