[sustran] Re: How much land does a car "eat" for a year?

Zvi Leve zvi.leve at gmail.com
Thu May 15 01:26:56 JST 2008

Chu Wa,

I am familiar with a blog article which analyses the production of Ethanol
from Corn and evaluates whether it is Renewable or
Sustainable<http://conversationsdesalon.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html>.
The article does a global energy-balance analysis using the following
assumptions: the number of metric tons of corn harvested per hectare is
9,400, a metric ton of corn produces 4,000 liters of ethanol, and that
flex-fuel vehicles typically get about 20-30% fewer miles per liter when
fueled with ethanol. Make your assumptions about vehicle KM's and fuel
consumption per year and you can figure out how much land would be necessary
per car.

The author's conclude that producing ethanol from corn is neither renewable
nor sustainable: [my emphasis] "*it would take all the corn in the country
to displace about 3.5% of our gasoline consumption *– only slightly more
than we could displace by making sure drivers' tires were inflated
properly!"

As Lee likes to say "Bio-fuels are for fools!"

Sounds like an excellent project. Plan to do something similar for my kids
when they are a bit older.

Zvi