[sustran] the quote ... // Re: How much land does a car "eat" for a year?

Markus Heller info at autofrei-wohnen.de
Thu May 15 02:33:18 JST 2008

An quote from a German press article:
"(...) Depending on your driving style, every hundred kilometers you are
using 0.2 to 0.3 people! (...)"

full article:
http://www.taz.de/index.php?id=archivseite&dig=2008/04/24/a0137
see below its translation in the latest WCN e-Bulletin
(archive: http://www.worldcarfree.net/bulletin/)

Markus Heller
www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html

* * *

WORLD CARFREE NEWS >>>
Edition no. 55 - May 2008 - English version

(...)

QUOTATION OF THE MONTH >>
__________________________

"Speculation and so-called Bio-fuels are leading us to a shortening of
raw food sources world-wide. The consequence: Poor people go even
hungrier, so that the rich can drive their cars in a supposedly
environmentally friendly way. This shows the duality of the term
bio-fuels. "Bio" means life. In this case, it is the life of those,
who must give them up for our gas station fill-ups.

Perhaps we should, as cynical as it sounds, indicate the usage of a
car in terms of hungering people per one hundred kilometers. An SUV
uses the equivalent of one year of a person's food needs for every
full tank of bio-fuel. Depending on your driving style, every hundred
kilometers you are using 0.2 to 0.3 people! I would rather stick to my
bicycle."

-Marco Walter, Constance, Germany, reported in the taz, 17.4.08.