[sustran] Wafrika waamke - African Transport Survival Forum

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Nov 15 00:41:40 JST 2006

Now, dear friends, here is a challenge truly worthy of your genius,
imagination and compassion - swapping ideas and views about the
usefulness of somehow creating or supporting an African Transport
Survival "Forum".

Martin Strid sets it out for us in the attached note, which places this
'nth banal transport advisory proposal' in a most troubling context,
which is in fact what the real world is giving us all to work with. It
is my view that if we are not able to keep all these matters in mind, we
and those concerned would really be quite unprepared to understand and
make wise decisions concerning the specific issues to which this forum
might in time be addressed.

Before we move ahead I would like to draw your attention to a sadly all
too typical 'old mobility' initiative in another part fo the world via
the following (below) recent article from the New York Times on "Delays
mire U.S. road project in Aceh".  I know that there are plenty of
Afircan examples of misplaced zeal along these lines but this happens to
be one that is immediately at hand. The message is both clear, and
universal.

So what happens now? Well for starters, let me propose (a) not too fast
and (b) together. Also we will from the beginning need to find as many
black Africans to get involved here, since otherwise it's just one more
exercise of good hearted but hey! neo-colonial do-gooding. This is not
to say that the lessons that are to be learned from such a group
exercise will be limited to Africa alone, most will surely be universal.
But we can't have this as one more Mzungu* grandstand. Can we?

And we can't have this as a male-centric and driven project either. Can
we?  The heart of Africa beats in the breast of its women.

Your thoughts on this?

Eric Britton

PS. Here is what Jeraldi from the Kamuis project
(http://research.yale.edu/swahili/learn/?q=en/node/244)  has to say
about this word. "Mzungu" shares its stem with the verb "kuzungua" or
"kuzunguka". Both of which basically mean to go around, wander around,
run around here and there, etc. The "m" on the front changes it into
"one who...." so "mzungu" basically means "one who wanders around" or
"one who runs around here and there in a restless manner". To understand
why this word is used to describe white people in general, one needs to
visit East Africa and observe the differences between the visiting white
people and the locals. In general, the locals take their time in their
daily activities. They might visit a friend for a couple hours, sit
through a 4 hour church service, visit with 5 people on their way home
without being in a rush, etc. In contrast, the white people generally
seem to be in a rush to get somewhere and do things and tend to have a
more business-like or hurried manner. These are of course gross
generalizations that don't apply to everyone but they are pretty
accurate. It pretty much boils down to the difference between what's
called island time, Africa time, etc. which is a more slow-paced
lifestyle, and I guess American time, European time, etc. which is a
more fast-paced lifestyle.