[sustran] announcing Sustainable Transport E-Update No. 3

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Wed Jan 8 08:53:42 JST 2003

Dear sustran-discussers,
The Sustainable Transport E-Update No. 3, which is the excellent e-bulletin of the Institute for Transportation & Development Policy (ITDP), is out now. Highlights are below.

Formatting problems do not allow me to pass it on via sustran-discuss but you can visit http://www.itdp.org/STe/STe3/index.html (or via http://www.itdp.org) to see the whole bulletin.
Paul
-----------------

The Sustainable Transport E-Update No. 3

Africa's Public Transit Renaissance
Two of Africa's most respected and recently elected statesmen, President Kufuor of Ghana and President Wade of Senegal, placed improving public transit at the top of their inaugural agendas. Recently, the capital cities of Accra and Dakar have appealed to the Global Environmental Facility and ITDP for help in realizing modern BRT corridors and cycleways - the first such systems in Africa.
FULL STORY (240K pdf), from our current issue of Sustainable Transport

United States Finds Alternative to Middle Eastern Oil
Now that the Middle East is more flammable than ever, how will Uncle Sam satiate his increasingly expensive oil habit? Today, the U.S. gets 15% of its oil from Africa. If current Bush administration oil hawks have their way, this figure will increase to 25% by 2015. FULL STORY

Cape Town Wins Bid for Velo Mondial 2006
Cape Town beat out New Delhi, Beijing, Osaka and Bogotá for the honor of hosting Velo Mondial's third conference in 2006. The conference is expected to build momentum for the development of a bicycle route master plan in Cape Town.
MORE INFO from Velo Mondial.

Europe (click here to translate this section)
Nowa Huta: Can the "Model City" Be Rebuilt?
 In June 2002, ITDP's Central Europe Anti-Sprawl team was invited to Nowa Huta by the Krakow Real Estate Institute to speak to the head of the Sendzimir Steel Works, the chief architect of Krakow and dozens of concerned groups gathered to consider the redevelopment of Central Europe's largest brownfield.
FULL STORY (300K pdf), from our current issue of Sustainable Transport
See Also: Ostrava pans for gold with brownfield regeneration plans,
Prague Business Journal FULL ARTICLE

Gutsy Mayors to Liberate London and Paris from Autocracy
Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoë and London Mayor Ken Livingstone are both taking bold steps (and big risks) to decrease automobile use in their cities. FULL STORY

Meanwhile, England Plans to Build Roads and Cut Rail
Some British officials say the country's ten-year plan to cut traffic congestion is in shambles. After announcing a £3 billion plan to build 200 miles of new roads and only two transit projects, the Government may decrease its contribution to the country's rail system by up to 20 percent. FULL STORY

Seine and the Art of Sustainable Transportation
Mayor Bertrand Delanoe's efforts to promote bicycle use and decrease automobile dependence are complemented by a five-year initiative to create a Bus Rapid Transit system with intermodal hubs throughout the metropolitan area. FULL STORY

Latin America (click here to translate this section)
People Power: The Citizens Behind Bogotá's Urban Revolution
Bogotá has become a model for cities throughout the world - developing Latin America's largest network of cycleways, the world's longest pedestrian corridor, the extraordinary TransMilenio BRT system and the planet's biggest Car Free Day. Now engaged citizens continue to push the city's revitalization forward.
FULL STORY
A volunteer directs bike traffic in Bogotá.

In Guatemala City, Surface Metro Takes Shape
Guatemala City will break ground on the construction of its new Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system by the end of December, starting with an initial 1-km line that will test the BRT concept in this city of 2.4 million inhabitants. The initial line, expected to be complete in six months, is only the first part of a long-term vision for a city-wide BRT system called Trans Metro. FULL STORY

Asia (click here to translate this section)
Does it make sense for China to motorize?
There is no question that if China succeeds in developing a powerful automobile industry, the economic dividends will be large. But will China's economy grow faster if it increases its domestic consumption of automobiles? Or will increasing reliance on motorized transportation threaten the past two decades of economic growth?
FULL STORY (180K pdf), from our current issue of Sustainable Transport

China Rocks Global Bike Industry
China's dominance of the global bicycle industry has occurred while government policy is driving bicycles off Chinese streets. A dramatic dip in domestic consumption of bicycles has caused prices to drop worldwide, threatening the industry's future viability. FULL STORY

Resources and Upcoming Events
(click here to translate this section)
New Internet Resource of Urban Mobility Projects
A Toronto-based organization called Moving the Economy and the Canadian International Development Agency have launched a new website that compiles information on transportation issues in the developing world. The highlight of the site is a database of case studies where sustainable transportation projects have taken place. www.movingtheeconomy.ca

International Seminar for Human Mobility
The Experience of Bogotá, Colombia
>From February 6-9, 2003, Bogotá is hosting an international seminar that will give planning and transport decision-makers an inside look at how the city achieved its transformation from chaos to a more sustainable city. The seminar coincides with Bogotá's annual car-free day, giving participants an opportunity to see how a large-scale car-free day is planned and implemented.
FULL STORY or registration info

Peñalosa to Lead Planning Workshops in Africa
Enrique Peñalosa, the former Mayor of Bogotá and the primary architect of
Bogotá's sustainable transport revolution, will be leading Sustainable
Transport Planning Workshops in South Africa, Senegal and Ghana and during January. Peñalosa will share Bogotá's experience in building political and popular support for Bus Rapid Transit, Non-Motorized Transport, and traffic demand management measures. FULL STORY

More Events on www.itdp.org

Editor: Lisa Peterson
Executive Director: Walter Hook

Sustainable Transport e-Update is published by the
Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) mobility at igc.org