[sustran] Fw: Data on Mumbai's traffic pattern and road fatalieis

kisan mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Sat Jan 4 10:58:00 JST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: kisan mehta <kisansbc at vsnl.com>
To: Robert Murray-Leach <smogs at ccsa.asn.au>
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: Data

> Dear Robert,
>
> Data used by me are from study undertaken by Atkins for the
Mumbai Urban Transport Project (MUTP) mooted by a number
of  transport providing public agencies.  Mumbai Metropolitan
Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is the coordinating
agency for the MUTP.

The World Bank used it while approving the MMRDA's Loan/Credit proposal.
The data is cited in the Document of the
World Bank Report no: 24004 IN `Project Appraisal Document
on a Proposed Loan  in the amount of US$ 463.00 million and
A Credit in the amount of SDR62.5 million (US$ 79 million equivalent) To
India For The Mumbai Urban Transport Project
> - May 21,  2002.

 "Road Safety: Indian cities are facing a growing risk of traffic
accidents.  By international standards, they are considered to
be more accident prone in spite of a relatively low level of
vehicles population. Only 5% of those killed in the traffic
accidents were in vehicles, the rest were pedestrians and cyclists.
The urban poor who are likely to travel more on foot or bicyles
than the non-poor, are likely to face higher traffic accident risks.
(page 4)

 "Public transport plays a dominant role in the MMR   Rail and
bus services combined carry 88% of the region's motorised
personal trips.(page 5)

MMRDA's Consolidated Environmental Assessment
-Exectuvie Summary  November 2001 contains following:

 "Mumbai has a unique distinction of satisfying 88% its peak
period travel demand through public transport such as suburban
trains and buses. Of the remaining 12% peak travel demand,
5% is met by taxis and 7% by private vehicles." page 1

 After the implementation of the MUTP with massive World
Bank loan, the share of public transport will come down to
85%.  The Bank loan is for supporting motorisation.  The State
Government built 50 and odd flyovers and elevated roads prior
to approaching the Bank for loan.  It has just announced another
project for constructing elevated roads costing Rs 20 billion on
the excuse of supporting bus traffic.

Any more info? We would be happy to receive your paper.
Best wishes.

Kisan  and Priya
 .