[sustran] Re: transit in Mexico city

Carlos Cordero V. ccordero at amauta.rcp.net.pe
Fri Mar 29 09:44:35 JST 2002

Dear Paula,

I think you make an interesting and well informed point.  We could
also agree that bike ways are not the entire solution for the city, however
It could play a
role as part of the solution for the cyclist, even if they are few in the
city. The fact is that they exist and as any other road user  they have
access and mobility needs . The distance in the
city from home to work is one matter and the distances for social and
shopping needs is another one.
 The other point is how much money and how easily this money goes for big
infraestrucutre projects which benefit only people who already have solution
for their transport needs. In this context is  easy to imagine that along
with a more organized  transport some space for cyclist is also needed or,
in other words, a more organized transport implies also a role for two and
three wheleers.
Best regards, Carlos   .