[sustran] transit in Mexico city

Paula Negron-Poblete p.negron-poblete at UMontreal.CA
Fri Mar 29 03:54:31 JST 2002

hello everyone, it seemed I wasn`t registered on the list, anyway,
About the cycleways in Mexico city, as a person who has travelled in public
transport in this city, I think it's not the best solution. Unfortunately,
distances in Mexico are too important for being travelled by bike.
The "solution" of the DF government constructing a second floor is not new. In
1995 (I was a master student) the authorities presented us the project and even
at that time we thought it was the worst idea of the year (I don't exagerate!).
We have to remember that the poorest people live far away from the center
(mainly in the east and south-east sectors of the city) and that they have to
travel easily 25 km to their workplace (mainly at the north and center). I
think a more organized transport system it's a better solution. Of course,
subways are great, but anyone who knows the structural requirements of this
infrastructure, and the soil and economic conditions of the city knows it's
hard to do.

    Paula Negron
    Faculté de l'Aménagement
    Université de Montréal