[sustran] Re: transit in Mexico city

Paula Negron-Poblete p.negron-poblete at UMontreal.CA
Sat Mar 30 04:58:25 JST 2002

Hello everyone,
It seemed the way I put things out let to know I was against bike, but
it's not that at all. It's only that in Mexico city poor people use
around 2-3 hours of their time daily to work travel because the public
transit system is not integrated (in any definition of the word).
Besides that, they use around 10-15% of their income to travel! I really
think this is a big priority. In Mexico the authorities doesn't even
know the bus routes (microbus) that exist, so it's impossible to plan
anything between transport modes. Even if developing bike
infrastructures could make short travel easier, it's not an immediate
priority. When you don't have many job choices, and the salaries allow
you to "survive" instead of "live", then your priority is to have access
to jobs at the lowest price. Unfortunately, there is no coordination at
all between transport and urbab planning, so it's not rare that people
have to travel long distances.

Ps. sorry about my english  :)

--
Paula Negron