[sustran] Re: Segway's assault on walking...redefinition of road space

Perkins, Alan (TSA) Alan.Perkins at transport.sa.gov.au
Mon Dec 10 13:57:33 JST 2001

There was a recent e-mail debate within our transport department concerning
Vespas.  Someone suggested that we should start to promote motor scooters as
a sustainable alternative to car use (particularly, in Australian cities, as
an alternative to the second family car).  The traffic safety people
expressed great alarm at encouraging such a dangerous form of travel.
Around the same time a prominent Adelaide businessman complained about the
ban on riding razor scooters in the city's main pedestrain mall (he had been
razor scooting to work).

We may well be seeing the beginnings of a broader debate about how to
accommodate that increasingly wide range of devices that fit (or at the
moment don't fit) between walking and the car - roller-blades,
roller-skates, skateboards, razor scooters, motorised razor scooters,
bicycles, bicycles with motors, electric wheelchairs, motor scooters - and
now The Segway.

Australian cities are generally blessed with wide roads, and generous
footpaths.  So physically there is the potential to do a great deal to
redefine the use of the road reserve.  The answers for local residential
streets may lie with the continuing expansion of traffic calming measures
and wider introduction of "shared zones" - Woonerf style.  For the more
trafficed collector and arterial roads however we have unanswered questions.
What goes on the footpath and what goes on the road ?  Is average speed of
travel the key determinant ?  In an ideal world, would we slow all motorised
traffic down to 40 km/hr and introduce road rules to facilitate the
intermediate modes mixing with car traffic (but then we'd slow the buses as
well) ?

I'm wondering if the issues associated with the redefinition of main road
space away from car dominance and towards this wider range of modes (not
just bus lanes and cycle lanes) have been progressed further elsewhere in
western cities.  But also if any developing world cities (most appear to be
moving in the same direction as western cities have done in the past -
towards squeezing other modes while expanding road space for the car) have
found a good balance, from which we can gain some new ideas.

Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins
Adviser, Sustainable Transport and Planning
Transport Policy Group
Transport SA
PO Box 1
Walkerville