[sustran] Re: Buses in Dhaka

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Mon Nov 13 18:04:07 JST 2000

Sorry for my slow response to this.

At 08:50 4/11/00 +0300, Alan wrote:
> I am curious as to the background to the lack of buses in Dhaka.
>Who administers and runs the city bus operation? (I assume there is no
>subsidy.)

This I am not absolutely sure.

A recent interesting development in Dhaka that was presented at the
CityNet/ESCAP seminar on transport and communications last week here in
Kuala Lumpur was the starting up of some premium bus services with higher
fares and aimed at the middle and upper-middle income groups. The new
services seems to be successful so far.

>And who keeps women off the buses?

Based on a conversation with the head of a Dhaka-based women's NGO (Nari
Uddug Kendra or NUK - or Centre for Women's Initiatives) my understanding
of the situation is as follows:

During the decade for women (1975 to 86?) reserved seats for women (10
seats or so at the front) were established on the buses. But if they were
full then women would not be allowed to sit anywhere else so women denied
entry if the womens' seats were already full.

Conductors and drivers are said to think that a woman take 3 "men's"
places. That is, they think they lose 2 fares if they let one woman on.
They say women require more space (not being proper to squeeze in with the
men, etc...). She also said levels of harrassment on the buses are extreme.

Over the years there has been an increase of womens employment and in
education and greater mobility by housewives to drop children, shop etc...
so there is more need than ever for transport services for women.

But now buses have NO reserved seats on logic of equality. She said that
women are often not admitted to buses. I am not sure how pervasive this
is... it seems to be a problem mainly in peak times. She did say some women
are becoming more assertive and brave enough to ride the buses despite the
difficulties and some are lobbying for a better deal. The alternatives,
such as rickshwaws, scooters are expensive with the result that many
low-income women are walking long distances. NUK has found that women tend
to have to pay more for transport than the men within the same economic group.

I hope I will be corrected if these comments are not completely accurate.

Best wishes,

Paul

Paul BARTER
(a.k.a.  A. Rahman Paul Barter)
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
P.O. Box 11501,  50748 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
sustran at po.jaring.my

Information services for the Sustainable Transport Action Network
for Asia and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
http://www.malaysiakini.com/sustran
http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet