[sustran] Buses in Dhaka

Alan Howes howesap at saptco.com.sa
Sat Nov 4 14:50:48 JST 2000

What an excellent contribution, Paul. Oh that the so-called "developed"
countries of the world could do more to encourage true democracy in
countries such as Bangladesh, instead of concentrating on their own selfish
ends.

However, I am curious as to the background to the lack of buses in Dhaka.
Who administers and runs the city bus operation? (I assume there is no
subsidy.) And who keeps women off the buses? I thought that sort of thing
was restricted to this country (where there aren't too many poor urban
women - and those there are tend not to need to travel). Mind you, I am not
familiar with bus operations in Afghanistan.

Cheers, Alan.

--
Alan Howes, Special Advisor, Saudi Public Transport Company, Riyadh
howesap at saptco.com.sa            Private: alanhowes at usaksa.com
Tel: +966 1 454 5000 ext 156