[sustran] [sustran] Suggestion welcome : Automobile Use in Chinese Cities

Jean-Francois Doulet jefchina at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 01:39:31 JST 2000

Dear all,

As a doctoral student, I have been working for 6 years on urban mobility in
big Chinese cities. My research focuses on the impact of a rapidly
increasing motorisation process (13 to 15% a year). Today, I am about to
finish the writing of my PhD dissertation which highlights the shifting from
bicycle-based mobility to automobile-based mobility in Beijing.

With about 1.3 million automobile vehicles, the Beijing municipality
accounts for 10% of the total Chinese domestic fleet. The pressure of an
increasing number of cars on the streets forces the municipal authorities to
make drastic choices often at the expense of the stability of the still
working bicycle-based transport system. The growing influence of a new
environmental-based policy for better air quality somewhat undermines
pro-automobile policies. However, the use of cars is facilitated by a
changing urban structure and automobile friendly road infrastructures.

In order to stay aware of the professional community point of view, I would
be very pleased to receive some of your comments about the Chinese case
regarding motorisation process. My question is : Do you think that China has
missed the opportunity to create an original worldwide experience of a dual
based transport system (bicycle/automobile)?

Upon request, I would be very happy to send a copy of one of my papers:

- in french :

Doulet, J.-F., "Structure urbaine et mobilite en Chine : l'espace bicyclette
en question" (Urban Structure and Mobility in China: Bicycle Space at
Stake), Transports Urbains (Urban Transports), 83 (1994): 17-26. Paper
quoted in World Bank, Sustainable Transport, Washington D.C.: World Bank,
1996.

Doulet, J.-F., "Espace urbain, mobilite et developpement de la voiture en
Chine" (Urban Space, Mobility and Automobile Development in China) in
Figueroa, O., Godard, X., and Henry, E, eds., Mobilite et politiques de
transport dans les villes en developpement (Mobility and Transport Policies
in Developing Cities), Actes INRETS, 55 (1997): 185-197.

Doulet, J.-F., "L'automobile dans la recomposition de l'espace urbain
chinois" (The Automobile in the Recomposition of Chinese Urban Space),
Bulletin de l'Association de Geographes Francais (Journal of the Association
of French Geographers), 1 (1999): 44-58.

- in english:

Doulet, J.-F., "The Urban Challenges of Automobile Development in China",
FISITA World Automotive Congress 1998, Paris: September 27-October 1, 1998.

Doulet, J.-F., "Suburbia on the Move. Beijing Fast-Tracks Northern Commuter
Line", China Infrastructure Newsletter, September 1998: 5-6.

- in chinese:

Doulet, J.-F., "Zhongguo Qiche Fazhan Tiaozhan Chengshi" (The Automobile
Development in China Challenges Cities), Qiche yu Shehui (Automobile and
Society), October 1998: 12-16.

Best regards,

Jean-Francois

Jean-Francois Doulet, Lecturer
University of Paris X-Nanterre
Department of Geography and Urban Planning
200 avenue de la Republique
92001 Nanterre Cedex - France
Tel : 33-1-43316179
Fax : 33-1-45653710