[sustran] Stop engine at the intersections

International Bicycle Fund ibike at ibike.org
Wed Sep 2 00:49:53 JST 1998

The answer may be a bit more complex than this:

1) If you are driving a car and coming from a cold stop,
driving a few blocks, turning off the engine (during which
it continues to give off some fumes--though different) and
then restart the stilled cold engine, and continue to do
this through town you will probably have little impact on
reducing air pollution (though it might reduce some noise).

2) At the other extreme if you have been driving for a while
( the engine is hot and burning efficiently) and you come to
a bridge or ferry landing where you will have to wait a bit,
stopping the engine will reduce pollution.  When you
restart, the engine will still be warm and not pollute at
the same level as a cold stop.

But these two there are a continuum of scenarios.  Depending
upon the specifics of the trip the environment may benefit
from stopping the engine.

Regards,
David Mozer

~ INTERNATIONAL BICYCLE FUND ~
Promoting sustainable transport and tourism worldwide
Email: ibike at ibike.org   Internet: www.ibike.org