[sustran] Stop engine at the intersections

Obwon ob110ob at IDT.NET
Wed Sep 2 22:28:56 JST 1998

ITDP wrote:

> This idea of stopping engines briefly to reduce air pollution is not a
> good idea.  While I don't have the figures, I'm pretty sure the
> emissions generated by stopping and starting the engine again are
> considerably greater than the emissions generated by hot idling.

  Yes, I was struck by that point too.  I think it's been discussed here
before... Does anyone know or remember what the 'breakpoint' is?  Where
it's environmentally cheaper to keep the engine running than to shut it
off?

  Obwon