[sustran] Jakarta area pricing - equitable

Roberto Verzola rverzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Tue May 12 06:55:12 JST 1998

* Original is in : SUSTRAN-DISCUSS
* Original date  : 11 May 1998 11:29:4
* Original is by : sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org     (6:751/401)
* Original is to : rverzola                           (6:751/401)
* Full text below:

> on equity grounds. All proposals to raise private-vehicle related prices
> also face similar equity arguments. I am concerned that many of these
> equity arguments may be spurious. Which are spurious and which are valid?

Two similar proposals were raised and tried in Manila:
1. Plate endings (1/2 are not allowed on busy streets on Mondays;
3/4 on Tuesdays, 5/6 on Weds. etc )
2. Odd-even (odd numbered plates can only use certain busy streets
on M/W/F, and even ones on T/Th/S)

#1 was tried (applicable only to private vehicles) and people
acknowledged that things worked. However, after many months (and due
to simultaneous infrastructure constructions in the city), traffic
got worse again, and the odd-even scheme was proposed, also for
private vehicles only.

There was an uproar. Basically, car owners included people who were
in a position to influence public opinion (media people, announcers,
columnists, managers, people who had telephones and therefore could
call into radio/TV programs, etc.) The proposal took a lot of media
hit and was withdrawn.

Today, we still rely on plate endings, and traffic remains very bad.
(It is, of course, worst on Saturdays.)

Obet Verzola