[sustran] Jakarta area pricing - equitable or not?

Todd Litman litman at IslandNet.com
Tue May 12 01:07:06 JST 1998

The equity arguements raised in Jakarta are virtually the same that have
been raised with road pricing in developed countries. The questions you are
raising are exactly the ones that need to be raised. I suggest obtaining
the following publications:

CURBING GRIDLOCK, Transportation Research Board Special Report 242,
National Academy Press (Washington DC), 1994.

Gomez-Ibanez, "The Political Economy of Highway Tolls and Congestion
Pricing," JOURNAL OF TRANSPORT ECONOMICS AND POLICY, Vol. 46, No. 3, July
1992, pp. 343-360.

A Evans. "Road Congestion Pricing; When is it Good Policy?" JOURNAL OF
TRANSPORT ECONOMICS AND POLICY, Vol. Vol. 46, No. 4, 1992, pp. 213-243.

BUYING TIME; RESEARCH AND POLICY SYMPOSIUM ON THE LAND USE AND EQUITY
IMPACTS OF CONGESTION PRICING, State and Local Policy Program, University
of Minnesota (Minneapolis;website:
www.hhh.umn.edu/Centers/SLP/Conpric/conpric.htm; email:
imunnich at hhh.umn.edu), 1996.

Todd Litman, "Using Road Pricing Revenue; Economic Efficiency and Equity
Consideration," TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH RECORD 1558, 1996, pp. 24-28.

Todd Litman, EVALUATING TRANSPORTATION EQUITY, Victoria Transport Policy
Institute (Victoria), 1996.

The actual equity impacts of road pricing vary significantly depending on
how equity is defined (there are at least three different types of equity
that apply to transportation policy), and the specific situation. Where
driving is a "luxury," there are good travel alternatives, and revenues are
used in a progressive way (for example, to subsidize transit service, to
reduce more regressive taxes, or returned to residents as a financial
rebate), road pricing can be considered to increase early all types of
equity. In many situations, it also helps lower income and disadvanted
travelers over the long-run by giving middle-class people an incentive to
use alternatives (transit and ridesharing in particular) which provides
economies of scale and political support for improvements to these services.

There are three general arguements to consider road-pricing as inequitable:

1.  It is regressive with respect to lower-income drivers, because they pay
a greater share of their income than people with higher incomes. This can
be evaluated by comparing tolls with income for people currently using the
roadway facility. In fact, people making peak-period automobile trips tend
to be relatively high income, and this should be particularly true in
developing cities. Most goods (for example, electricity and water bills)
are regesssive with respect to income), so the question is why road use
should be considered an exception (the answer is, because in the past roads
have been unpriced, so we are simply not accustomed to paying for this good.

2. Drivers are already paying for roads through their fuel taxes, so road
pricing represents double taxing. In fact, fuel taxes only cover a portion
of the costs that road users impose, so this is actually a false arguement.

3. Road pricing is unfair because drivers to certain destinations must pay
it, while drivers to other destinations don't. This is actually an
arguement for MORE road pricing, not LESS. Road pricing is usually applied
where there is an extra high cost (in either facilities or congestion
impacts) of automobile travel.

How road pricing revenues are used is a KEY factor in program equity. If
revenues are used in a progressive manner, lower income and mobility
disadvantaged people will benefit overall. If they are dedicated to more
road construction, or are rebated to drivers as a group, then they are not
progressive.

Travel choices (i.e., the quality of walking, bicycling, ridesharing and
public transit services) is also a key factor. In an entirely automobile
dependent transportation system, road pricing constitutes a tax, since
there is no alternative to paying. In a multi-modal transportation system,
driving is a luxury, and it is only fair that drivers pay a premium for
their use of valuable road space (or, to put it another way, for the
external congestion and air pollution costs they impose).

Unfortunately, for all of the logical arguements for road pricing, there is
still a lot of political opposition that will be difficult to overcome in
most communities. This resistance is evidence that, although drivers will
complain endlessly about congestion, the problem is not serious enough for
them to accept real solutions.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute