[sustran] Re: sustran-discuss V1 #211 (Road Pricing in Jakarta)

ROLAND YEO yeossr at pacific.net.sg
Tue May 12 23:17:13 JST 1998

Paul Barter wrote

Jakarta area pricing  - equitable or not?

>Is it true that such a scheme is inequitable? For example, the poorer half
>(roughly) might be better off because buses may be able to move faster
>through the restricted zone?

This will only work if there exist bus priority schemes on the roads there(e.g. bus lanes). You are right in saying that the exponential growth in car population has led to severe road congestion, such a scheme would be needed to make buses travel faster, particularly during peak hours.

>But do they have viable alternative options?  For example, they might shift
>their travel time if they can. They might switch to riding the bus
>(probably the air-conditioned "PATAS" buses rather than the very crowded,
>cheap, non-aircon ones).

PATAS buses charged a higher fare.  As such, they are used by the white collar commuters.  I am not convinced that the lower income group would switch to these buses.  Yes, in this case, equity becomes an issue for those who used to ride into the city by cars.

Furthermore, will the road pricing cost be passed on to commuters, as is the case of taxis in Singapore where all road pricing cost of entering CBD, and of recent the lectronic road pricing, are borned by riders.