[asia-apec 1436] PRESS Release - April 24 - Groups Welcome Sri Lankan Governments Ban of GM Food Imports

PAN Asia Pacific panap at panap.po.my
Mon Apr 24 18:26:29 JST 2000

Pesticide Action Network (PAN) Asia and the Pacific
PRESS Release - April 24

Groups Welcome Sri Lankan Government’s Ban of GM Food Imports

On April 10, 2000 the Sri Lanka government banned imports of all
genetically modified (GM) foods with immediate effect, according to
a senior health ministry official in a Reuters report carried
worldwide.

The news of this immediate ban was greeted with enthusiasm by groups
concerned with the use of genetic engineering in food and
agriculture.  In an immediate letter of response to the President
of Sri Lanka, Her Excellency Chandrika Bandaranayake Kumaratunga,
Pesticide Action Network (PAN) Asia and the Pacific Executive
Director, Sarojeni V. Rengam, stated that the network was, “very
encouraged to learn of the government’s decision to ban the
importation of genetically modified food products”.

“We applaud your government’s courageous action in applying this ban
with immediate effect. We believe that the government's food
advisory committee’s position, of wanting to avoid health risks
associated with genetic modification, is the first and most far
reaching model of precautionary measures taken by any country in
the Asia Pacific region”, the letter continued.

The letter was also endorsed and signed by PAN AP’s 10 member Task
Force on Women in Agriculture representing organizations from
Bangladesh, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan,
Sri Lanka and Thailand.

News of the ban was made by Mr. S. Nagiah, chief food inspector of
the health ministry, in a telephone interview with Reuters.  Nagiah
had said that the government's food advisory committee was keen to
avoid health risks associated with genetic modifications, adding
there were no price advantages to be gained from importing GM
foods. Sri Lanka does not produce any GM foods, but is a
significant importer of wheat and sugar.

In fact it was only recently that the Minister of Agriculture of Sri
Lanka, The Honourable D.M. Jayaratna, had said that he was going to
take stern action on the issue of genetically modified foods.

Within the last 2 years, groups concerned with safe food and
sustainable agriculture had been making submissions to the Sri
Lankan government for a People’s Health Policy invoking the right
to safe food, recognition of traditional treatments and so forth.
The purview of safe food included concerns over the potential
health impacts of genetically modified foods.

The People’s Health Policy was a result an initiative begun by the
Community Education Centre (CEC), who are working against
pesticides and promote organic sustainable agriculture especially
among women.  CEC and the Alternative Community Health Action group
(ACHA) initiated a health network of over 30 groups and
organizations.  Letters and submissions on the People’s Health
Policy were sent by the groups to the President and the Minister of
Health—the issues covered included the concerns over GM foods.
Others who made similar submissions were the Gami Seva Sevana
(Rural Service Centre) which promotes organic agriculture.

Commenting on the Sri Lanka government’s decision, Anita Fernando of
CEC said, ”we feel greatly encouraged by this development, we hope
that the government will not waver in its resolve to protect the
health of the people.  CEC is especially concerned about the health
and welfare of women as food producers, care givers and their central
role in the family and community.   We feel that the ban on the
imports of GM foods is a very positive step in ensuring safe food and
good health for all!”

Encouraging the Sri Lankan government to maintain its ban, Rengam in
her letter stated, “With the dawn of the Sinhala and Tamil New Year
on April 13, 2000, we commend the Sri Lankan’s governments’
visionary initiative to protect its people’s health and well
being.   We would like to encourage you to continue with this
position as we feel that the potential human health and
environmental threats from genetically engineered (GE) foods should
be taken very seriously…. We pledge our support to this ban, and
would like to work with your government for a “GE Free” Sri
Lanka!”

Of late there has been increasing concerns about the health threat
of genetically engineered foods.  ‘Applied and Environmental
Microbiology’ published a report in 1999 that the human mouth and
pharyngx contains bacteria that can take up and express transgenic
DNA, including antibiotic resistance marker genes.  According to
the report, this confirms the ability of transgenic DNA to spread
by horizontal gene transfer.  Scientists are concerned that
transgenic DNA from food is unlikely to be completely broken down
in the mouth, and may transform bacteria normally present in the
mouth.  One main danger is the uptake of transgenic DNA containing
antibiotic resistance marker genes by the bacteria, but other genes
and novel constructs involving viral promoters/enhancers may also
be hazardous.

Additionally, the study by Dr. Arpad Pusztai, that was a major cause
of controversy in the United Kingdom last year, on the potential
human health impact of GE potatoes, revealed that rats fed with GE
potatoes had suffered significant damage to their immune systems,
thymuses, kidneys, spleens, and guts, retarded growth and reduced
body weight.

For more information contact:

Jennifer Mourin, PAN AP, P.O. Box: 1170, 10850 Penang.   Tel:  +604
657 0271 Fax:  +604-657 7445.  E-Mail: panap at panap.po.my

Anita Fernando, Community Education Centre, 117 Talahena, Malabe,
Sri Lanka Tel:  +941 – 869 459  Fax:  +941 – 877 777

PAN - Asia and the Pacific
P.O. Box 1170
11850 Penang
Malaysia