[asia-apec 1435] Anti-IMF Activities in Washingto DC

Ace Saturay azes at juno.com
Sat Apr 22 07:54:18 JST 2000

From: Peoples' Campaign
         Against Imperialist Globalization (PCAIG)

PRESS RELEASE
April 18, 2000
For more information contact:
Arnedo Valera,
Washington DC, (703)276-7406
Ace Saturay,
Seattle, WA, (206) 763-9611

FACED WITH POLICE HARASSMENT AND INTIMIDATION,
THE PEOPLE'S ASSEMBLY AGAINST
THE IMF/WORLD BANK RECLAIMS DC STREETS

Washington, DC - Giant puppets and more than 1000
protesters from the People's Assembly Against the
IMF/World Bank defiantly reclaimed the streets of
Washington, DC  on Sunday, April 16.  The People's
Assembly denounced the anti-people policies of these
US-controlled international financial institutions and
the military/police crackdown on people exercising
their democratic right to express their resistance to
the IMF/World Bank.

"The People's Assembly is asserting our basic
democratic right to free speech and assembly", said
Arnedo Valera, of DIWA, a local Filipino organization
that hosted the People's Assembly. "Our permitted
forum was cancelled at George Washington University,
and our Youth Caucus was harassed by police in Malcolm
X Park.  Is this an example of what democracy looks
like?

"'Junk, Junk IMF!' is our call," because we want to
end these institutions of oppression and
exploitation," said Ace Saturay of the People's
Assembly and convenor of the Seattle International
People's Assembly which contributed to the shut down
of the WTO meeting in Seattle last November.

Marching as part of the People's Assembly were youth
from Just-Act, the South Bay (CA) No to WTO, the
Philippine Forum-NY, Coalition for Community
Environmental Justice based in Seattle, students from
DC, Chicago and New York, as well as Filipinos,
African-Americans, Paraguayans, Indians, and many
other exploited people and people of color.

"The police operations against protesters was one huge
psy-war," said Carol Pagaduan-Araullo of
BAYAN-Philippines (New Patriotic Alliance).  "Their
actions over the past week included a military show of
force using hundreds of troops, riot gear, tear gas
and pepper spray, motorcycle teams to run down
protesters. There were also undemocratic and illegal
mass arrests, particularly against our more vulnerable
youth.  This was meant to intimidate the growing
number of people who simply question the policies of
the IMF, World Bank and WTO.  The military and police,
are part of the state apparatus to defend corporate
capitalism and their instruments -- the
IMF/World Bank/WTO."

But Sunday, April 16 the People's Assembly was able to
re-claim the streets of GWU near the IMF/World Bank
and march to the chant of "Long live international
solidarity!" as students from the university formed a
human chain around the buildings on their campus.

"We will never forget the police repression of
Seattle.  We were well prepared for DC, so, in spite
of the intimidation, we remained strong.  In fact, it
only galvanized us to assert our rights as youth and
people of color.  We were organized in our campaign
and educated about the IMF and World Bank's adverse
affects on people like us," said Amanda Vender of the
People's Assembly's youth contingent. "We will not be
turned back!"

The People's Assembly's forum, scheduled to be held on
Saturday night at GWU, was moved to The Washington
City Church of the Brethren.  The Youth Caucus also on
Saturday took place as scheduled in a new venue,
having been kicked out of its original venue by the
police.  And a final solidarity and cultural evening
reinforced the People's Assembly and its resolve to
continue in the struggle against imperialist
globalization.

Actions in support of the People's Assembly Against
the IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington DC took
place in San Jose CA where more than 100 people
protested at the US federal building and in Manila
where hundreds of Filipinos protested at the Central
Bank of the Philippines. #