[asia-apec 666] Workshop on Globalization and Fisheries

tpl at cheerful.com tpl at cheerful.com
Sun Sep 20 12:36:19 JST 1998

>Initial Announcement & Invitation
>
>PAMALAKAYA and NACFAR invite you to attend and join other fisherfolk
>organizations in a workshop on the impact of globalization on fisheries and
>the initiatives being taken by organized fisherfolk against IMF-WB-WTO
imposed trade and investments liberalization and privatization.

>Asia-Pacific Peoples' Assembly (APPA)
>November 10-15
>Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
>
>Forum on Land, Food Security and Agriculture
>November 11-12
>
>Workshop on Globalization and Fisheries:
>"Fisherfolk Says No to Monopoly Capital's Thirst for Profit"
>November 11
>
>	The Workshop on Globalization and Fisheries is part of the Forum on Land,
Food Security and Agriculture of the Asia-Pacific Peoples' Assembly (APPA)
which is being held parallel to the 1998 APEC Leaders Summit. It is being
organized by PAMALAKAYA (National Federation of Fisherfolk Organizations in
the Philippines) and NACFAR (Nationwide Coalition of the Fisherfolk for
Aquatic Reform - Phil).

>	The theme for the workshop is "Fisherfolk Says No to Monopoly Capital's
>Thirst for Profit." Representatives of fisherfolk organizations in
>APEC-member and other countries/economies are expected to participate.
They will collectively discuss their situation especially about the problems
>confronting the fisherfolk and affecting aquatic resources and the marine
environment as a result of globalization. They will share viable options
for the fisherfolk to work and struggle for both at local and regional levels.

>	Workshop participants will tackle the devastating effects of trade and
>investments liberalization on small fisherfolk and food producers in
>fisheries. They will discuss the ill effects on the fisherfolk, the people
and the environment of commercial aquaculture, extensive commercial
>fish-catch operations, conversion/privatization of coastal shores,
industrial pollution and use of chemicals.