[asia-apec 665] NZ Govt launches APEC colours

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Sun Sep 20 09:57:20 JST 1998

Distinctive New Zealand Flavour For APEC 1999
Friday, 18 September 1998, 10:00 am
Press Release: New Zealand Government

"Next year's series of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) =
meetings
will see the eyes of the world on New Zealand and we will be ready to
knock their socks-off," Prime Minister Jenny Shipley said today on
launching the official branding for APEC 1999.

The APEC logo will either be in black or in white with the New Zealand
Way fern incorporated into it, and has nine distinctive New Zealand
colours and images attached to it.

The colours have been specially named for APEC 1999 to reflect unique
New Zealand attitudes and values. We have specifically chosen tones =
that
are seen everyday in homes, workplaces, at play and in rural and urban
settings all over New Zealand.

"They are more than just New Zealand colours, they also represent our
essence as a people," the Prime Minister said at the launch at
Auckland's Mt Roskill Grammar School.

The colours represent:

=B7 quarter acre OCHRE - landscape, lifestyle, personal space
=B7 kiwi BROWN - our roots, kiwiana, down to earth
=B7 cultuRED - passion, artistic and cultural flair
=B7 SILVER lining - potential, enthusiasm, youth, young industries
=B7 awe BLACK - competitive spirit, sportiness
=B7 zeal TEAL - pioneering spirit, adventurous
=B7 GREEN as - our environment, outdoor recreation
=B7 long WHITE - an island nation, purity, individuality, our vision
=B7 BLUE horizons - entrepreneurs, new ventures, no limitations

"APEC 1999 is a tremendous opportunity for huge numbers of people from
around the world to view New Zealand and our region - either directly =
as
visitors, or through international coverage.

"APEC has a combined population of nearly 3 billion people and
represents more than half of the total world income and half of world
trade.

"Chairing APEC gives New Zealand an unprecedented opportunity to
influence the shape of this forum's work on trade and economic
cooperation. We are looking forward to hosting 21 of the world's most
powerful leaders, more than 11,000 delegates, and the international =
news
media during APEC.

"We have some of the best scenery, food, culture, products and
businesses in the world, and APEC will be an unparalleled opportunity
for New Zealanders to showcase our corner of the world.

"With so much happening next year, from APEC 1999 to the America's Cup
campaign through to the Millennium events and the Rugby World Cup
campaign, the eyes of the world will be on New Zealand and we will be
ready," said Mrs Shipley.

ENDS