[asia-apec 795] Pls use asia-hr-alert

Catherine Coumans 103611.663 at compuserve.com
Wed Oct 14 04:08:25 JST 1998

Dear Obet,

        I am a subscriber to this list and I am much dismayed that you
would seek to curtail news about police brutality and human rights abuses
taking place in **APEC** countries. These events bear directly on our
analysis of the political regimes that are seeking to implement APEC, they
often have deep roots in economic oppression and exploitation (present and
planned) that needs to be analyzed in the context of the sorts of
agreements the APEC leaders are trying to hammer out for us! Human rights
abuses and economic liberalization/globilization are frequently linked and
must be understood to be linked if we are to be effective. To set human
rights abuses off in a separate category and deny a linkage is to do
exactly what the proponents of APEC would like. The police brutality in
Canada last APEC, for the sake of the dictator Suharto's "comfort," for the
sake of a successful and complete APEC meeting, and especially for the sake
of trade with Indonesia, is a perfect example of what I am talking about. I
certainly hope you won't stop reporting on this or I will indeed feel this
list has lost its relevance.

Catherine Coumans