[asia-apec 798] Re: Pls use asia-hr-alert

Roberto Verzola rverzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Wed Oct 14 08:57:00 JST 1998

 >        I am a subscriber to this list and I am much dismayed that you
 >would seek to curtail news about police brutality and human rights abuses
 >taking place in **APEC** countries. These events bear directly on our
 >analysis of the political regimes that are seeking to implement APEC,

Yes, I understand your point. I hope you also noted that I did say the
ff:
- the asia-hr-alert list was the most appropriate forum for such
  detailed reports (and I forwarded it to that list, by the way)
- people were still welcome to post shorter notices on asia-apec on HR
  abuses to call attention to the long reports they'd post at
  asia-hr-alert
- my reminder wasn't meant to belittle the importance of such reports.

If the report had contained APEC-related analysis of HR abuses, I
would have made no comment. But it had no mention at all of APEC and
it was purely a report on police brutality.

We can of course make it an explicit rule to welcome on this list such
long reports on police brutality and other human rights violations, if
subscribers feel this will make the asia-apec list more useful. May I
encourage other list subscribers to send me a *private* message (send
it *NOT* to the list, but to my email address) how they feel about
this particular issue.

Regards to all,

Obet Verzola