[asia-apec 787] Re: ECO APEC'93 WATCH Issue #4, Seattle, WA

Mark Brown markb at gn.apc.org
Sun Oct 11 21:25:35 JST 1998

Hello,

Could I ask why we have been sent this 5 year old information. Much as I
would like to continue hearing about Asian resistance to globalisation, if
this overload continues I will have to unsubscribe.

Yours,

Mark

At 12:13 09/10/98 -0700, asia-apec at jca.ax.apc.org wrote:
>Seattle, WA                                   November 20, 1993
>
>                              APEC WATCH ECO
>
>FINAL EDITION                                       No. 4

>ECO has been published by non-governmental groups at major
>international conferences since the Stockholm Environmental
>Conference in 1972.  This issue is produced cooperatively by
>groups attending the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
>Meeting in Seattle, Washington, USA, in November, 1993.
>-------
>
>NEWSFLASH:  APEC SECRETARIAT TO MEET NON-GOVERNMENTAL REPS
>
>Non-governmental organizations concerned with labor, environment,
>and human rights will meet today with the APEC Secretariat.  We
>hope that this meeting will be a model for future annual
>ministerial meetings.
>
>CONTENTS:
>
>WASTE TRADE     page 1
>APEC EDITORIAL  page 2
>INDONESIA       page 3
>Taiga           page 4
>Gremlin         page 5
>Japan Reacts    page 5
>Invitation      page 6
>
>Greenpeace Reports. . .
>WASTE TRADE TARGET: ASIA
>
>Asia is currently being targeted by the world's waste traders as
>an open market for unwanted wastes from industrialized countries.
>Without strict national laws, decrees, and policies or a regional
>agreement prohibiting all imports of hazardous wastes, Asia is in
>danger of becoming a dumping ground for vast quantities and
>several dangerous types of wastes.
>
>For example, between January and June 1993, the United States
>exported more than 19,000 tons of wastes and toxic products to
>Asia, including plastic wastes, scrap metal waste, and spent
>lead-acid automotive batteries.  These shipments included at
>least 2,000 tons of banned or unregistered pesticides to Asia.
>
>Toxic trades have offered Asian countries countless poisons;
>among the commonly offered toxic wastes and products:  asbestos,
>incinerator ash, tire wastes, industrial chemical wastes,
>municipal wastes, slag from metallurgical processes, leaded
>gasoline, banned an never-registered pesticides, useless
>pharmaceutical, plastic wastes, polychorinated biphenyls, lead
>acid battery wastes, sewage sludges and used paints to name but a
>few.  All of these materials contain or can produce upon
>incineration, extremely toxic and harmful substances such as
>heavy metals, dioxin and furans.
>
>Almost every country in Asia has been targeted as a waste
>dumpsite for wastes from industrialized countries.  In the first
>six months of 1993 along, Greenpeace has documented more than 440
>waste export schemes from the United States to Asian countries.
>However, this number is clearly just the tip of the iceberg of
>the number of schemes from all industrialized countries to the
>region.
>
>Additionally, the number of waste shipments to Asia as a whole,
> [...]
Street parties coming up:

October 10 15:00 hours: Chasseveld Breda (Netherlands)
'streetrave against militarist bullshit propaganda'
Sydney, Saturday 31 October

For instant relief, take T£R£A£N£S£N£A£T£I£O£N£A£L R$E$S$I$S$T$A$N$C$E
&
Go here today: http://www.gn.apc.org/rts/
88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Mark Brown  (markb at gn.apc.org)