[asia-apec 789] Re: ECO APEC'93 WATCH Issue #4, Seattle, WA

Roberto Verzola rverzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Sun Oct 11 21:35:07 JST 1998

>Could I ask why we have been sent this 5 year old information. Much as I
>would like to continue hearing about Asian resistance to globalisation,

In fact, there have been worse postings. This list is unfortunately
becoming a dumping ground of all kinds of messages which, while
interesting themselves, are not very relevant to the list topic.

I am not sure if there is still an official moderator of this list,
but in the meantime, I'd like to carry on the work as temporary
moderator, our organization (Interdoc/Asialink) having initiated the
opening of this list several years back. I'd be glad to give way as
soon as the official moderators are ready to take over the moderating
function.

MAY I REMIND ALL to confine your postings to materials which are
directly relevant to APEC, especially the coming APEC meeting and the
various issues which are confronting APEC today.

May I also ask APPA and the various track issue/sector forum
coordinators to post on this list additional materials about their
specific forums: detailed schedules, working papers, background
papers, etc. We'd like to start the discussions and exchanges early on
this list.

There was also an incipient debate on tactics to pursue. One posting
suggested that NGOs submit a request to the official APEC body to be
allowed to participate in official deliberations; one reaction seemed
to be saying that such a move will only be used by APEC to claim
"civil society participation". It might be useful to pursue this
debate on this list... Postings are welcome to explain either side.

Meanwhile, may I post some questions for the APPA Secretariat?
- Have you sent a formal request to official APEC bodies for
  representation in the official deliberations?
- Is there an agreement within APPA to do or not to do this move?
- If there exist some documentation about the decision on this issue
  (one way or the other), is it possible to make them available on
  this list?

Regards to all,

Obet Verzola
Interdoc/Asialink