[asia-apec 754] Announcement and Invitation: APPA - Labour Forum

AHRC Urgent Appeal ua at ahrchk.org
Tue Oct 6 15:00:48 JST 1998

Asia Pacific Peoples' Assembly (APPA) Labour Forum
DATE: 11 - 12 November 1998
VENUE: KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

Local Host: APPA - Labour Forum
Labour Resource Centre,
57 Lorong Kurau, Bangsar 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: {603] 283 6245   Fax: [603] 283 3536
email: lrc at tm.net.my

INVITATION: APPA - Labour Forum

Dear friends,

Warmest greetings from Malaysia.

The organising committee of the Asia Pacific Peoples' Assembly (APPA) Labour
Forum is pleased to invite you to participate in the forum. The Labour
Forum, which is part of the Asia Pacific Peoples' Assembly, will be held
between 11 and 12 November. The main conference of APPA will be held between
10 to 15 November.

The main theme for the Labour Forum is "Globalisation and Workers' Struggle
for Employment Security". We call on participants to contribute papers,
publications or reports related to the theme. Any materials you wish to
share with other participants (even if you could not attend the meeting),
please submit them to APPA Secretariat before November 5 in order to be
included in the delegate folder.

Although the date for APPA is fast approaching, we still have not received
any confirmation for funding. If funds are available, subsidies for travel
or local expenses will be provided for limited number of people. However, at
the present stage the organizing committee could not commit to provide
sponsorship for invited participants. We urge you to actively seek other
sources of funding.

Attached are several documents related the registration of the Assembly.
Please fill in the relevant forms and return to the Secretariat. The
registration rate of APPA is US50.00. Due to our limitation of fund, it will
be helpful that if the more resourceful organisations e.g. trade unions from
the North, international or regional bodies, could also contribution some
financial support to the Labour Forum.

Thank you and looking forward to see you in Kuala Lumpur.

Solidarity,

------------------------------------
Tian Chua
On behalf of organising committee
Email: lrc at tm.net.my

Program of the Labour Forum:

Exposure:
Factory Visit and exchange with trade unions and labour activists in Malaysia
(electronic and automobile factories in Klang Valley)

Day 1
9.00 am		Opening speech:

		Presentation:
		"Workers' Struggle for Employment Security: A Regional Overview " or
		"Globalisation and its impact on Employment Security"
		by a representative of regional body (e.g. AMRC or ALARM)

10.30 am	Tea break

11.00 am	Workshop will be divided into 4 groups:
Women workers
Trade unions
Community and non-formal sector
Labour supporting services

(Each workshop will discuss what are impacts of globalisation on respective
sectors and how to defend workers' rights and employment)

11.00 am 	Reflection and evaluation of the present situation
		(problems, difficulties and opportunities)

1.00 pm		Lunch

2.00 pm		Discussion on demands to put forward and strategy

4.00 pm		Report back and plenary
5.30 pm		Close

8.00 pm 		Videos and informal discussion

Day 2

9.00 am		Inputs:
		Presentation: experiences of existing struggles
		2 presenters from regional network, and 2 local activists

10.30 am	Tea break

11.00 am	Workshop on ways of:
		- Forging solidarity between different sector
		- Developing common programs

1.00 pm		Lunch

2.00 pm		Summary and plenary

3.30 pm		Tea break

4.00 pm		Evaluation of previous cooperation and common program
		(how to prevent duplication of tasks and avoid repetition of mistakes)

5.00 pm 		Resolution

8.00 pm		Solidarity night

Rally
The workers sector will propose to workers groups and trade unions to hold a
rally during the period of APEC. The theme is suggested to be on labour
rights, employment and social security.

REGISTRATION

Labour groups and organisations, Trade Unions and other concerned groups
are invited to the APPA Labour Forum.  Please fill the form below and send
to the APPA Secretariat
THE ASIA-PACIFIC PEOPLES' ASSEMBLY
57 Lorong Kurau, Lucky Gardens, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel : 603-2836245  Fax :  603-2833536
E-mail : appasec at tm.net.my

REGISTRATION FORM
-----------------

Title: -----------------------------------------------------------------
Fullname(Ms./Mr./others) :----------------------------------------------
Preferred nametag name :------------------------------------------------
Organization:-----------------------------------------------------------
Acronym :---------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Adderss
:-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing Address :
E-mail : --------------------------------------------------------------
Fax: -------------------------------------------------------------------
Tel : ------------------------------------------------------------------
Short description of Organization : ------------------------------------

Emergency contact :-----------------------------------------------------
Name : -----------------------------------------------------------------
Address : --------------------------------------------------------------
Tel : ------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you require assistace in obtaining a visa?  (Yes/No)
Do you  require financial support? (Yes/No)
(If Yes, please complete the sponsorship request form)
Will you require translation?  (Yes/No)
In which language :----------------------------------------------------
(Note : translation may not be available)
Do you  have any special medical requirements/allergies? (Yes/No)

The following 16 Issue/ Sector Forums will take place during APPA. your
registration with APPA entitles you to participate in any of any of these foums.

6-10 Nov
Women's Conference (Nov 8-9)
Student & Youth (Nov 7-10)
Indigenous Peoples (Nov 6-7)

11 Nov
Consumer
Environment & Forestry

11-12 Nov

Labour**
Migrant Labour
Privatisation & Financial Deregulation
Food Security & Agriculture
Strategies of Peasant Movements
Globalisation & Children
Media
Community Livelihood
Urban Poor

Human Rights & Democracy

Please select the Issue/Sector Forums you wish to register with according to
priority. You cannot select forums where the dates overlap.
1. -------------------------------------
2. -------------------------------------
3. -------------------------------------

Will you be participating the plenary? (Yes/No)

The registration fee APPA is US$50. This fee entitles you to paticipate in
all issueand sector forums, the plenary, and all other APPA activites
(cetain exceptions may apply).

A cheque or money order is enclosed oeder is enclosed with my registration?
(Yes/No)

Thank you for registering with APPA. The Secretariat or the relevant
Issue/Sector Foum coordinators will contact you shortly about the programme
of events, travel and accommodation logistics, and financial sponsorship.
l The closing date of registration and payment of registration fee is
October 23. Pleasa send the completed registration forms to APPA
secretariat and make all payments to LRC Communication. If your payment is
not recived with this registration, please make cash payment at the on-site
registration counter on November 10 before the opning ceremony of APPA.

APPA SPONSORSHIP FORM
-------------------------
1. Name:-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Organization:---------------------------------------------------------------
3. Position: ------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Address: -------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Tel :
6. Fax:
7. E-mail :
8.  Which forums are you participating?
a. --------------------------------------------------
b. --------------------------------------------------
c. --------------------------------------------------
9. Period os stay : From : ----------------------  To  ------------------------
10. I need sponsorship for:
a. Registration fee  (Yes/No)
b. Travel Expenses  (Yes/No) Amount:------------------------------------
c. Accomodation and will be arranged by the secretariat (Yes/No)

APPA ACCOMMODATION REQUEST FORM

1. Name : -----------------------------------------------------------------
2. Nationality : ----------------------------------------------------------
3. Sex?: ------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Address :
5. Tel : ------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Fax: -------------------------------------------------------------------
7. E-mail : ----------------------------------------------------------------
8. Period os stay : From : ---------------------------- To
-----------------------------
9. Which forums are you participating?
a. ------------------------------------------------------
b. ------------------------------------------------------
c. ------------------------------------------------------

10. Payment :
a. I will pay for my accommodation and please book a room for me:
i. Single Room
ii. Twin Sharing Room

Range of room charges
i. Below US$15
ii. US$15-US30
iii. US$30-US$40
iv. US$40-US$60
v. Above US$60

E-mail : appasec at tm.net.my

=======

Kindly note the new e-mail address for AHRC Urgent Appeals : ua at ahrchk.org
*    Asian Human Rights Commission 	|                           Tel:
+(852)-2698-6339  *
*    Unit D, 7 Floor, 16 Argyle Str.	|                          Fax:
+(852)-2698-6367  	            *
*    Mongkok Commercial Centre     	|          AHRC E-mail: ahrchk at ahrchk.org  *
*    Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR         	|             Web:
www.hk.super.net/~ahrchk  *

AHRC Staff:

      Basil FERNANDO, Executive Director   [basilfwp at ahrchk.org]
      Sanjeewa LIYANAGE, Information Officer [sanjeewa at ahrchk.org]