[asia-apec 83] (No Subject in original)

Asian Students Association asa at asiaonline.net
Fri Aug 30 19:36:24 JST 1996

Indonesia Exercises Repressive Arm in Hong Kong
(An Account of the Incident at the Indonesian Consulate in Hong Kong)

On 29 August 1996, some 30 foreign migrants and representatives of local and
regional non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in Hong Kong marched to the
Indonesian Consulate to express their indignation and protest against human
rights violations and political repression in Indonesia.

A collective statement of protest signed by 18 local and regional NGOs was
read out, placards bearing the calls and demands of the protesters,
streamers were displayed prominently for people and Consulate staff and
officials to read and some slogans were chanted. In other words, it was a
peaceful protest action.

Yet, while the protesters were holding a program, the Indonesian Consulate
sent out  "photographers" who kept on taking pictures of the people involved
in the action. There were 4 Indonesian consulate "photographers" who roamed
around snapping pictures. When requested by the organisers to present their
press credentials, they refused to give their names. The Indonesian
photographers were deliberately sent to intimidate the protesters (who were
not at all intimidated but took turns instead in blocking their shots).

Earlier on, one of the organisers of the protest action went inside the
consulate office to inform them that the protesters want to hand over a
protest letter to Consul General Lili Sobari. She was told to get out of the
consulate premises and to wait outside. From time to time, she would go near
the consulate's glass door (which was locked from the inside) to ask when
the Consul-General would come out to receive the statement. She was told to
wait many times over.

When she again went near the glass door, she was blocked by an Indonesian
man (wearing a cap, white shirt and jeans) who said "give me the statement".
Naturally, she asked who he was and what was his official capacity. He
refused to answer and instead, ordered her to step-off the stairs  - "this
is Indonesian property, go down" - he roughly told her. She told him that
unless he identifies himself, she will not give him the statement. Already
"off the premises of Indonesia", she kept on telling him that the statement
will only be given to the Consul-General or to his representative. He
wouldn't budge and neither did she but thinking quickly, she grabbed her
camera and took a shot of the unidentified man.  And that's when he
slapped/pushed her face.

The protesters who witnessed the incident shouted in indignation, while
Indonesians from inside the Consulate quickly grabbed the unidentified man
and took him inside. The unidentified man never showed himself again.

Meanwhile, members of the Hong Kong police force arrived at the scene. The
angry protesters shouted more slogans and demanded an apology from the
Indonesian Consulate officials. A complaint against the "assault" was lodged
before the Hong Kong Police Force members who promised to investigate the
incident. The protesters made it clear that they wouldl not leave the premises
until and unless an apology is made.

As expected, no apology was forthcoming. Instead, a vice-consul (who refused
to identify himself - "I refuse to give my name, you can get it from the
police") received the protest letter. The unidentified Vice-Consul said  "I
do not have anything to say to you, I refuse to comment on the incident"
when confronted by the "assaulted" person who handed over the letter of
protest.

An Appeal for Action

The Asian Students' Association (ASA) urges human rights and pro-democracy
advocates and activists to send protest letters to the Indonesian Consulate
in Hong Kong in protest of the incident and as a show of continuing
solidarity with the struggling Indonesian people
*************

Letter to the Editor

What Have You to Fear from Peaceful Demonstrators?

On 29 August 1996, migrant workers and representatives of local and regional
non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in Hong Kong marched to the Indonesian
consulate to express indignation and protest against human rights violations
and political repression in Indonesia. We also wanted to present a protest
letter carrying three basic demands: (1) Stop political repression in
Indonesia; (2) Free all political prisoners; and (3) Guarantee the freedom
of assembly and association.

I was assaulted by an unidentified Indonesian during a peaceful
demonstration at the Indonesian Consulate in Hong Kong on August 29, 1996.
Why? Probably because I refused to give him the protest letter which we
wanted to submit to Consul General Lili Sobari himself or to his
representative. Probably, it was also because I took a picture of him a few
seconds before he slapped/pushed my face. Or maybe because he recognised the
name Asian Students' Association (ASA) written on the cap I was wearing. But
are these the real reasons behind his savage action?

Perhaps Suharto will reward that unidentified man for following his orders
en toto. Imagine, single handedly he tried to bring things under control!
Typical Indonesian military tactic.

But like the Suharto-led Indonesian regime, that unidentified man has
committed a desperate act - a very cowardly act. How else can you call his
action, or for that matter Suharto's action towards peaceful demonstrators
and legitimate protests in Indonesia? Cowards and desperate people do not
hesitate to use raw force on otherwise unarmed and peaceful people. Cowardly
and desperate regimes do not hesitate to arrest, detain, maul, torture and
even kill innocent and peace-loving people. Moreover, cowards and desperate
regimes cannot tolerate resistance and militancy. With bare arms, truncheons
and guns, they are prepared to silence those who dare act against them. And
this is the way the Indonesian regime has responded to the legitimate
demands and aspirations of the Indonesian people.

Since the so-called "communist-instigated riots" took place in Indonesia, at
least four people have already died, 226 arrested and nearly 160 opposition
supporters are missing. The crackdown on pro-democracy activists and leaders
continue to this day.

The Indonesian people living under Suharto's New Order regime have
increasingly become disenchanted by the serious economic problems that
continues to breed unemployment, contractualisation, increasing the divide
between the rich and poor, spiralling cost of living, etc. Rampant
corruption, gross human rights violations and overwhelming abuse of
political power, increasing militarisation, iron-gloved rule of a military
regime and hypocrisy of democracy all the more strengthened the Indonesian
people's resolve to struggle for meaningful and lasting social changes.

Instead of addressing the social problems, the Suharto regime has
resurrected the communist bogey to justify its brutal attack on the
Indonesian people's movement. By employing red scare tactics, the Suharto
regime is cleverly steering attention away from the real problems ailing
Indonesian society today. It is trying to cover-up the roots of the
Indonesian people's clamor for democracy and freedom.

The Suharto regime has widened its circle of attack to include regional and
international organisations associated with the so-called communists. It
released a document in which a diagram of the organisations/individuals
pro-democracy groups are related with is drawn. Our organisation - the
Asian Students' Association (ASA) - "a radical and leftist students
organisation", as described by the Indonesian government and military - is
included in that diagram. The Students Solidarity for Democracy in Indonesia
(SSDI), a member organisation of the People's Democratic Party (PRD) is one
of the 49 member organisations of ASA. In the recent crackdown, many SSDI
activists have been arrested and detained and many more are in hiding,
constantly pursued by the military.

The treatment I/we received at the Indonesian Consulate in Hong Kong is not
far from the treatment Indonesians receive in their country. We were
deliberately intimidated and harassed for while we were holding our peaceful
protest, at least four (4) Indonesian photographers were sent out by the
Indonesian Consulate to take pictures of people involved in the action. The
photographers refused to give their names. The vice-consul who received our
protest letter also refused to identify himself, saying "I refuse to give my
name, you can get it from the police".

Furthermore, when the unidentified vice-consul was informed of the assault
incident, he said "I do not have anything to say to you. I refuse to comment
on the incident". They smoothly employed the policy of "neither confirm nor
deny", invoked diplomatic immunity and relied on the military (in this case,
the Hong Kong Police Force) to sort out the scuffle (while they coddled my
aggressor to safety). They were simply detached, cold, poker-faced and
unresponsive to our legitimate action and demands.

I have lodged a complaint to the Hong Kong Police Force who were present at
the scene. A policeman has promised to call me "after my inspector discuss
the matter with the Consulate officials".

The Asian Students' Association (ASA) shall not let this matter pass without
a fight. On the minimum, we demand a public apology from the unidentified
Indonesian person and from the Indonesian Consulate officials. If this is
not acceptable to them, we shall formally start procedures to have the
unidentified man charged with physical assault.

Lina P. Cabaero
Secretariat
Asian Students' Association (ASA)
353 Shanghai St. 4/F Kowloon, Hong Kong