[asia-apec 82] Letter to People of Okinawa

by way of daga <daga at hk.super.net> Ronsan2224 at aol.com
Fri Aug 30 19:05:59 JST 1996

Dear Friends,
Attached is a letter to be sent to newspapers in Okinawa and Japan to
encourage, support and stand in solidarity with those who want to vote their
heart in the referendum on Sept. 8th.  On the referendum is a question asking
them if they support the withdrawal of U.S. military bases by the year 2015.
 If you want your name attached, please e-mail me back, FAX me at
808-959-2793, or tel. me at 808-959-2731 or 808-959-9775.  Tell us how to
write your name and attach an organization which will be listed for
identification purposes only.  Deadline is Monday evening, Sept 2nd.  If you
want to draft your own letters, please do so.  You can FAX letters to Ryukyu
Shimpo at 81-98-865-5196 and the Okinawa Times at 81-98-867-6431.

Aloha,
Ron Fujiyoshi

An Open Letter to the People of Okinawa

 We write to extend to you a spirit of peace, aloha, and solidarity as you
approach your historic referendum scheduled for September 8, 1996, on
reducing U.S. military bases in Okinawa.  Twenty percent of Okinawa's main
island is presently controlled by the U.S. military.  Much of the world is
watching in anticipation of the voting results.  Our hope is that Okinawa
will become a beacon of peaceful courage to the world.

 Your vote to move away from militarism opens up many new possibilities.
 First, it is a profound statement to the world of moral leadership against
war and violence and for peace and good will by people who have suffered
greatly from war and militarism.  It opens up the possibility of Okinawa
becoming a bridge of peace, rather than a stepping stone of war, between Asia
and the Pacific.  It also opens up other possibilities of what can be done
constructively when people choose to redirect material and spiritual
resources to affirm, rather than destroy, life.

 To move away from militarism can mean many good things for Okinawa.  It
means that Okinawa can become self-sufficient.  It means that more of
Okinawa's land can be used to feed its people and others.  It means that
Okinawa can become an agricultural, technological, and educational center of
peace leading the world into the 21st century.  Okinawa can become a model of
self-sustaining technology-- environmentally sound, with zero emissions,
clean energy.  Doing this you will become a teacher of peace, affirming life
to people throughout the world.

 The international community awaits the result of your vote.  If you choose
to reduce military bases in Okinawa, international support will be there to
assist you in the transformation from militarism to peace and
self-sufficiency.  Many people will want to join hands in partnership with
you in this valuable effort.  Please let us know how to best help you.

 We salute you on the eve of this historic occasion.  We encourage you to
vote from your heart for Okinawa's good future and for the future good of the
earth we share.

       With gratitude and aloha,
         (signers-organizations)
            date

[Note: organizations are listed for identification purposes only.]