[asia-apec 81] OPEN LETTER TO APEC MEMBER-HEADS OF STATES

RVerzola RVerzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Fri Aug 30 13:35:31 JST 1996

Friends:

I was requested by the Urban Poor Associates (upa at phil.gn.apc.org) to
distribute the letter below, with a request that local groups in each
APEC member economy try to get the attention of their head of state
(perhaps through the media or some other means), to remind them that
one consequence of their coming to the Philippines for the APEC
meeting is that CHILDREN ARE BEING EJECTED FROM THEIR HOMES because
the Philippine government wants to give APEC delegates a nicer view
while they drive from Manila to Subic.

The letter follows.

Obet Verzola

----------------------------

August 28, 1996

HEADS OF STATES
MEMBER COUNTRY
APEC

Dear Sirs,

We are the children of urban poor squatter families living in Manila
along the streets you will travel by when you come for the APEC Meeting
in November.

Our government is destroying our homes because it feels we urban poor
people are "eyesores" and you will have a bad impression of our country
if you see our poor houses.  There are thousands of poor families
threatened with eviction.

Please tell our President you are not surprised there are still poor
people in Manila and that you don't mind looking at our poor homes.

Tell him you do mind removing families and suspending our schooling
just because you are in the city for a day or two.

Please do something.

Thank you.

Very sincerely,

The schoolchildren of Urban Poor Communities located in:
Fort Bonifacio
North Triangle in Quezon City;
R-10, Navotas
Dagat-dagatan
Freedom Island
Domestic and International Airport
Del Pan Bridge
AWSOP and C-5 affected communities
Malabon
Makati-Magallanes Interchange going to Taguig
Controlled Zone in NGC
Antipolo
Payatas 2000
Pasay
Alabang stock Farm
Home Along the Riles in Sta. Mesa and Caloocan