[sustran] European Parliament considers health warning for automobile adverts...

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Thu Jun 7 18:43:24 JST 2007

Hi,

This has been a topic on some of these lists before so thought you might
be interested...

"...The report that the parliament will vote on also calls for a big
change in the way cars are advertised.

A fifth of ads would have to be given over to a variation on the health
warning on cigarette packets. It wouldn't actually point out the dangers
of CO2 emission, but would highlight the car's fuel efficiency (or lack
of it) and its CO2 emissions. It would also be made illegal for adverts
to boast about cars being able to go faster than the national speed
limit, although not being an avid reader of car ads I don't know whether
they really do this on a regular basis anyway...."

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/europe_diary/default.stm>

... It seems that they will need more warnings, just to keep things...
uh... fresh, so we ought to monitor this and give some suggestions...

- T

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory