[sustran] Re: Graz 30/50 speed limit etc and cycling

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Thu Jun 7 18:13:48 JST 2007

Hi,

Just a little information so no one starts making generalisations about
social acceptability of 50km/h speed limits in Europe...

In cities in the new EU states a 50km/h limit is still socially
acceptable but of course not obeyed. One part of one district in Prague
- perhaps not coincidentally the first one with a shared bike system -
has a 40km/h limit but the only reason it has it is because it has no
main transit roads, only very local streets. No transit streets - and
these might still just be two lane roads going through neighbourhoods
with no signals, no stop signs - are allowed to have less than a 50km/h
limit.

But the most interesting thing is that the traffic safety division of
the Ministry of Transport recently STOLE the main idea of recent
campaigns in Germany to change speeds form 50 to 30... and used its
aesthetics, comparisons of risks and so on to compare 60km/h (the old
speed limit many years ago) to 50km/h.

- T

Eric Britton (Fr) wrote:

> [...]

Todd Edelman