[sustran] Request for specific information

Raul O'Ryan roryan at dii.uchile.cl
Tue Jul 8 01:54:31 JST 1997

To:     sustainable transport discussion list

From:   Raúl O'Ryan, Center for Applied Economics, Industrial
Engineering Department, Universidad de Chile.

Dear Sirs:

I am working on the issue of sustainable passenger transport in urban
settings of developing countries. I would like to know if you have
information on this topic in general, or if you can suggest where I can look
for it.

It is my contention that developing countries are different from developed
countries in at least three aspects that affect emissions and future
sustainability of in developing country cities: average age of the fleet in
developing countries is high and turnover rates of old cars is slow;
percentage of overall trips or passenger km done on public transport (as
opposed to cars) is high; vehicle ownership (say per 1000 pop.) is low.

Do you have information on average fleet age, percentage of trips done in
public transport and vehicle ownership in cities of developed countries? If
you do, please send me the references.  Do you know where I can get the same
information for some developing contries?.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Raúl O'Ryan.