[asia-apec 1865] ETAN Congratulates the People of East Timor on Independence

John M. Miller fbp at igc.org
Sat May 18 05:14:41 JST 2002

-Please feel free to distribute -

Open Letter from ETAN to the People of East Timor on Independence

The East Timor Action Network/U.S. congratulates the courageous people of
East Timor on their independence. This is a great day. We applaud your
achievement, won after great hardship and against overwhelming odds. Your
victory against occupation by the fourth largest country backed by the
world's most powerful nation gives hope and inspiration to all who work for
genuine democracy, human rights and self-determination.

We are proud to have supported your struggle over the last ten years. Your
triumph in what many once considered a lost cause is a testament to your
valor and your strength, your resiliency and your resistance.

We pledge to continue to support you in your independence. We will work
with you to achieve justice for past crimes and sustainable development for
the future.

We will work to make sure that all East Timorese refugees who wish to
return home are able to do so.

We will advocate for adequate levels of aid which suit your priorities and
needs and ensure a healthy tomorrow for your children. We will oppose any
imposition of onerous conditions on assistance and loans that will mortgage
your future.

We will oppose all U.S. support for the Indonesian military so as to
support your security and so that others will not experience abuses at the
hands of the military from which you are now free.

We will continue to seek an accurate accounting of our own government's
role in supporting Indonesia's invasion and occupation. We do this out of a
sense of responsibility for our country's complicity and out of concern
that no other people should suffer as you have because of the policies of
our government.

A luta continua!

Viva Timor Lorosa'e!

May 20, 2002

etanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetan
John M. Miller         Internet: john at etan.org

Media & Outreach Coordinator
East Timor Action Network: 10 Years for Self-Determination & Justice

48 Duffield St., Brooklyn, NY 11201 USA
Phone: (718)596-7668      Fax: (718)222-4097
Mobile phone: (917)690-4391
Web site: http://www.etan.org

Support ETAN, make a secure financial contribution:
http://etan.org/etan/donate.htm

Send a blank e-mail message to info at etan.org to find out
how to learn more about East Timor on the Internet
etanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetan