[asia-apec 1839] Powerful New Documentary: Life and Debt

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Sat Jan 5 10:41:40 JST 2002

Please help us promote an amazing new film on globalization called "Life
and Debt" by Stephanie Black. Life and Debt is a powerful educational
tool on the real life impacts of the global economy.

Life and Debt is truly a work of art and an educational opportunity not
to be missed.  Let's make sure it plays to sold out audiences when it
comes to the Bay Area. The film is also showing at cities around the
country - check the website www.lifeanddebt.org for more information.

            P L E A S E  C I R C U L A T E  W I D E L Y

"If you're curious about why the demonstrators are so angry, this is why
they're so angry."  --Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

"The movie offers the clearest analysis of globalization and its
negative effects that I've ever seen on a movie or television screen."
--Stephen Holden, New York Times

Don't miss the amazing new documentary "Life and Debt".
This film provides an incredible opportunity to raise global awareness
and deepen our understanding of the impacts of globalization and free
trade on countries like Jamaica.  The reggae soundtrack and entertaining
storytelling brings a heartwarming spirit to the film as well.

LIFE AND DEBT OPENS JAN 18 in San Francisco at the Lumiere - California
at Polk (415) 352-0810
and the Shattuck IV - 2230 Shattuck Ave (510) 843-FILM

Two special events:
Wed. Jan. 16, Life and Debt Benefit Screening at the Lumiere Theater,
California at Polk, 7PM.  Panel discussion with film maker Stephanie
Black and Kevin Danaher will follow. Tickets $10-20.

Life and Debt Film Premier Benefit Concert featuring reggae artist from
Jamaica YAMI BOLO and spoken word dub poet MUTABARUKA
JANUARY 18 at Studio Z (11th and Folsom), doors open at 8pm
$18 in advance (buy tickets online at www.studtioz.tv) / $20 door

The excellent NY Times review below makes it clear just how timely and
important this film is in the debate over the role of the IMF, World
Bank, and World Trade Organization in countries in the Global South, in
this case Jamaica. The movie is remarkable because it not only deals
with all of the human and labor rights, environmental and economic
policy issues deftly but also because it works artistically. Don't miss
it!

'Life and Debt': One Love, One Heart, or a Sweatshop Economy?

MOVIE REVIEW By Stephen Holden in the New York Times

   Among the prominent Jamaicans interviewed the most eloquent voice
belongs to Michael Manley, the former prime minister who reluctantly
signed some of the agreements that have damaged the country's economy.

   Speaking more in sorrow than in anger, he acknowledges that his
country made mistakes along the way. But the overall impression
left by this devastating film is of the global economy as a
dog-eat-dog world where the usual culprits, the United States and
its multinational corporate clients, have the advantage.

LIFE AND DEBT

   Produced and directed by Stephanie Black; narration
written by Jamaica Kincaid, based on her book "A Small Place";
directors of photography, Malik Sayeed, Kyle Kibbe, Richard
Lannaman and Alex Nepomniaschy; edited by Jon Mullen; music by
Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers, Bob Marley, Dean Fraser, Buju
Banton, Sizzla, Harry Belafonte, Mutabaruka, Rolando E. McLean,
Peter Tosh and Anthony B.; released by Tuff Gong Pictures.

September 2001    www.lifeanddebt.org  Running time: 86 minutes.

This email was sent to: asia-apec at jca.ax.apc.org