[asia-apec 1819] Joint Satement

Pacific Asia Resource Center parc at jca.apc.org
Fri Oct 26 20:08:54 JST 2001

Dear Friends

	After September 11, whole world seems to rush for the "new war". Facing this,
many people and organizations have already published their statements and comments
to stop the war. We also plan to publish a joint statement of Asian NGOs. This initiative
came from Korean NGO, Korean Federation for Environmental Movement (KFEM), to
Pacific Asia Resource Center (PARC), and both agreed to expand this move to our
friends in Asian countries.
	So please relay this message to your friend organizations and NGOs to sign up.
We will have a simultaneous press conference or joint action in early November as many
countries as possible. Deadline is October 31, 5 PM (Japanese time).
For more information, please contact to parc at jca.apc.org or 81-3-5209-3455

Please return your sign by fax or e-mail
 Return Sheet (FAX to +81-3-5209-3453 or parc at jca.apc.org)
Name (organization)

Address

PHONE							FAX

E-mail

Stop the War, Keep Peace in Asia
- Opposing the US Military Retaliation, Japan's Militarization and Korean Military
Support for the US

Joint Statement of Asian NGOs

We feel deep sorrow at the tragedy caused by the " terrorist attack" on September
11, in which countless thousand of precious lives were lost and many more injured,
and extend our sincere and heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of
those who lost their lives. We should point out, however, that the US launched its
war of retaliation in disregard for the voices of peace-loving people of the world. This
war is meaningless both for the security of US citizens from terrorism and for global
peace. On the contrary, the US might be accused of dyeing the new century red by
military conflict and be faced with anger and resistance of many citizens all over the
world.

We are NGOs working for human rights, environment, gender, poverty, etc., in
Asian countries. We are also eager to bring peace to the Asian region. Based on this
position, we express our opposition both to the "simultaneous terrorist attack" and
to political responses against this attack by the US, Japan and Korea.

First, although we believe that we must not forget the victims of September 11 and
the grief of their families and friends, the same must be true for all victims and
people being victimized by war and violence, poverty and discrimination rooted in
global structures.

Second, regardless of what group prepared and implemented this violent attack -
although the US government seems to have identified the criminal - we strongly
oppose the labeling of this attack as an Act of War, and we oppose the US claim that
it has a state right to retaliate using military power. We also strongly oppose US
plans for a violent military retaliation. We believe that it is important that a
thorough investigation be conducted by international justice authorities and civil
police of several countries, and any response should wait until the release of the
results of this investigation. Blind military retaliation by a single nation or by
mobilizing allied countries might lead to the sacrifice of as many innocent citizens
as this attack or more. And such military retaliation will produce a vicious cycle of
military escalation. We would also point out that if the US wants to show its resolve
against terrorism, it should change its military hegemonic policies such as the
missile defense plan, illegitimate intervention into Third Word countries, and
arrogant economic policies under the name of "globalization".

Third, we must refer to Japan's moves toward militarism using this "simultaneous
terrorist attack" as a pretext. Japanese politicians, most of whom belong to the LDP,
plan to enact a new law for supporting US military retaliation and to establish the
notion of the right of collective self defense, which has so far not been acknowledged
in Japanese society. This is the first attempt by Japanese military forces to
participate in a war since the Asia- Pacific War (1930-1945). We strongly oppose
such moves towards the strengthening of military force. The participation by
Japan's Self-Defense Forces in joint military action will be a serious threat to peace
in Asia including the Korean peninsula. We demand that the Japanese government
recognize its responsibility for the Asia-Pacific War and apologize and provide
redress toward war victims such as the "former war-time sex slaves ". We also call
on the Japanese government to actively contribute toward peace in Asia.

Forth, we call on the Korean government to withdraw its position of support for US
military retaliation, and devote its efforts to cooperation between the North and
South in the Korean peninsula to create peace. The legitimacy of US military
retaliation is very problematic from the viewpoint of international law, and
retaliation may create thousands of victims among citizens. We insist that this
support is meaningless for Korean nationals, and therefore should be stopped. If the
Korean government supports a US war, it will result in the Korean government
approving the paving of a way for Japan to pursue militarization.

For the Korean government, a crucial way to contribute to the security of the
Korean people and peace in Asia is to develop a dialogue with the North, and to
make progress toward peace and reunification on the Korean peninsula, the last
land of the Cold war.

We will gather voices of Asian people to enlarge social movements against the war,
Japan's militarization which threatens peace in Asia, and support among Asian
countries for US military retaliation. We will also expand our solidarity network
throughout the world in order to eradicate terrorism, war, poverty and environment
destruction and other structural violence.

October 4, 2001

Convening Organizations
Korea: Korean Federation for Environmental Movement (KFEM)
Japan: Pacific Asia Resource Center (PARC)
	Ayus
	Asia-Japan Women's Resource Center (AJWRC)
	Foundation for Human Rights in Asia, Japan (FHRA)
	Consumers Union of Japan
Citizen's Nuclear Information Center(CNIC)
Japan International Volunteer Center (JVC)
 	Japan Catholic Council for Justice and Peace
People to People Aid (P2)
	National Chiristian Council of Japan- International Committee (NCCJ)
       Nerwork for Indonesian Democracy, Japan
International Movement against All Forms of Discrimination and
Racism Japan Committee (IMADR-JC)
Kansai NGO Council
Violence Against Women In War and Conflict Situations Network, Japan
(VAWW-net Japan)

Pacific Asia Resource Center (PARC)
3F Toyo Bldg., 1-7-11 Kanda Awaji-cho, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo Japan
TEL +81-3-5209-3455  FAX+81-3-5209-3455
parc at jca.apc.org