[asia-apec 1811] URGENT ACTION: Oppose the Thomas Fast Track Bill!

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Fri Oct 19 09:10:19 JST 2001

URGENT ACTION: Oppose the Thomas Fast Track Bill (HR 3005)!

VOTE IN CONGRESS IS LIKELY IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS!

Soon after the tragedies of September 11, Representative Bill Thomas
(R-CA), in an attempt to capitalize on national bipartisan
sentiment, introduced the controversial "Thomas Fast Track Bill" (HR
3005) in the House. In an attempt to diminish democratic
representation, this fast track trade bill, now called "Trade
Promotion Authority," would give the President sole authority to
negotiate free trade agreements, limiting action by our
congressional representatives to voting up or down on the treaty
without debate. It will  not require the president to include
enforceable protections for the environment and workers' rights in
any trade agreement. More outrageously, attached to this bill is a
rider that would prevent the labeling of genetically modified food,
claiming that GM labeling is a barrier to free trade!

*** Call Congress TODAY ***
Use the AFL-CIO toll-free number to call Congress at:
1-800-393-1082

We urge you to call your representatives immediately and let
them know that you oppose the Thomas Fast Track Bill!
A sample statement that you can fax or send to your Representative
is included below-

To find out the phone number, fax, and address of your
representative, simply enter your zip code at:
http://www.congress.org/

For more information about the HR 3005 Bill:

Public Citizen - "Fast Track Facts"
http://www.citizen.org/hot_issues/issue.cfm?ID=141

----------
Proposed Message to your representative/senator:

Dear Representative/Senator,

I strongly urge you to vote against HR 3005, and any
legislation that grants the President Fast Track Trade
negotiation authority or that results in Free Trade
policy without guarantees for labor standards
and environmental safeguards.

HR 3005, introduced by Representative Bill Thomas,
does not call for mandatory provisions that protect workers'
rights or environmental standards.  In addition, the bill
will not require foods that contain Genetically Modified
ingredients to be labeled, claiming that labeling is a barrier
to Free Trade.

The bipartisan spirit of Congress that has resulted in
response to the September 11 tragedy should not be used to push
a controversial bill through the House.  Free Trade legislation is
controversial and divisive, and it should only be considered after
much debate.  I urge you to vote against Fast Track legislation
and to oppose approaches to trade policy that do not consider
address labor rights and environmental standards.

Sincerely,

Other sample letters can be found at:
http://www.citizen.org/trade/fasttrack/action/articles.cfm?ID=5465
http://cw2k.capweb.net/aflcio/letterstate.cfm?letter_id=1760

For more information, to order Food First Books,or to join our member-supported organization, go to:
http://www.foodfirst.org.
Or send your tax-deductible check to:
Food First, 398 60th St. Oakland, CA 94618