[asia-apec 1831] Action Alert: Say NO to Fast Track!

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Sat Nov 24 04:04:00 JST 2001

Fast Track Vote Scheduled for December 6th!

Call your Representative at
1-800-393-1082 (courtesy of the AFL-CIO) or
1-888-832-4246 (courtesy of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce)

and say NO to Fast Track!

The House GOP leadership has decided that it is "now or never" for a
vote on Fast Track.  DeLay, Armey and company have announced that
they have set the date of a vote for Thursday the 6th of December.
While they still do not have the votes lined up yet to pass Fast
Track, they hope that by putting it on the calendar will force
Members to take a position with nasty GOP leadership coercion for
those who refuse. Meanwhile, having a set date will push the
corporate lobby to intensify its efforts.  Plus, the White House has
also said all along that they would become more involved once a date
certain was set.

We have all been fighting incredibly hard over the last several
months, and  victory is now within sight (but so is defeat...)! We
know you're getting tired (so are we!), but we have to escalate the
opposition in these next few weeks to a whole new level! The bottom
line is:  They do not have the votes and can only win if we let our
victory slip away! There will be enormous pressure put on the
Representatives from the White House, the business lobby, the GOP
leadership and all the other "free-traders" - and it will be hard
for some Members we need to vote with us to stand up to these
forces. We MUST help them stand firm by constantly reminding them
that the people who put them in office are counting on them to
oppose Fast Track.

WE WIN IF WE ALL DO THE FOLLOWING:

CALL your Member of Congress and express your opposition to Fast
Track..  Ask for the chief of staff, legislative director or the
trade aide.  Demand to know the Representative's position on H.R.
3005 (Fast Track) legislation coming for a vote on December 6th.

THANK Members who commit against Fast Track and ask
for their commitment in writing to be sent to you immediately.

SLAM Members who are in favor of Fast Track - we'll
remember in November!

PROVIDE INFORMATION along with a dose of political
persuasion to Members who are undecided.

VISIT any town hall meetings or other public events that your
Representative is organizing and ask questions about Fast Track.
Also try to arrange a meeting directly with your Member or just drop
by the district office (they have office hours every weekend).

WRITE a letter-to-the-editor on why you oppose Fast Track in your
local paper. We can provide you with sample letters:
gtwfield at citizen.org (let us know what your particular interest is -
labor, environment, food safety, state sovereignty, etc).

DO IT DAILY UNTIL DECEMBER 6 AND GET ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

PLEASE TELL US WHAT YOUR MEMBER SAYS!
CONTACT gtwfield at citizen.org /  (202)-546-4996

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes.

Margrete Strand Rangnes
Field Director
Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch
215 Pennsylvania Ave, SE, Washington DC, 20003 USA
mstrand at citizen.org & www.tradewatch.org
Ph: + 202-454-5106, Fax: + 202-547 7392

For more information, to order Food First Books,or to join our member-supported organization, go to:
http://www.foodfirst.org.
Or send your tax-deductible check to:
Food First, 398 60th St. Oakland, CA 94618

This email was sent to: asia-apec at jca.ax.apc.org