[asia-apec 1820] Food Rights Watch

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Sat Nov 3 10:58:09 JST 2001

Welcome to Food Rights Watch. Food Rights Watch provides information
about economic and social human rights in the belief that education
leads to
action. Please read on, forward to friends, send story ideas,
and most importantly- take action!!!

>From Food First - For Land and Liberty, Jobs and Justice!

Stephanie Yan

Editor

United States

(1) In Yukon, Fears U.S. Drilling Could Upset Delicate Balance
(2) Small Businesses, Limping, Feel Neglected by Aid Efforts
(3) A University of Pennsylvania Study Uncovers 400,00 American Children

Using Survival Sex for Food and Shelter

INTERNATIONAL

(4) Diamond Miners still work for just 12p a day
(5) Britain blocks protection for indigenous people
(6) Anti-GM smallholders in the Amazon demand justice over series
    of killings
(7) Poverty, Health Problems Worse in Developing Countries
    Dependent on Oil And Mining
(8) Plenty of Pain to Share in Zimbabwe Land Reform

United States

(1) In Yukon, Fears U.S. Drilling Could Upset Delicate Balance

To the Vuntut Gwitchin people where the caribou migrated to have their
young
was sacred ground. Even hunger would not allow the people to enter it to
hunt
for food.  Now, the Gwitchin fear, the caribou are threatened by a U.S.
energy
bill that would open the way for oil and gas drilling in Alaska's Arctic
National
Wildlife Refuge. The Gwitchin say drilling would disrupt the annual
migration
of the caribou and kill a human lifestyle that has survived thousands of
years.
 The calving grounds, which cover millions of acres, straddle the
U.S.-Canada
border. The most sensitive part lies on 1.5 million acres on a coastal
plain in the
Alaskan preserve. "We are not doing this because we don't like oil
companies,"
said Newman, as she sat in the Gwitchin office in Old Crow. " We are
doing this
to preserve the land for our children. . . . When our children are
hungry, we cannot
give them oil."  The Senate Majority Leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.)
has
said "I truly believe that the vast majority of the American people want
us to find
our oil elsewhere. They don't want the trade-off that ANWR presents.
It's six
months of energy destroying in perpetuity a very pristine, very special
part of our
country.  "In the North, when you see the prices we pay for food, you
will see how
expensive it is to live up here. We could definitely use the money,"
Newman said.
"However, there are other ways to make money. We don't need that oil
money.
We can't sacrifice our children's lives for that."

Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A1754-2001Sep9?language=printer
By DeNeen L. Brown
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, September 10, 2001; Page A13

The fossil fuel industry spends $156 billion annually to find more oil
and gas, yet
the fossil fuels we already have will cause irreversible damage to our
planet.
Demand an alternative:

Please sign the petition urging President Bush and your senators to vote

to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

When the issue comes to the floor of the Senate, your senators votes are

critical in deciding the outcome. Its important that they hear directly
from
concerned constituents like you today. Action on this issue could now
come
at any time so please contact  your senator today.

Thanks for urging bipartisanship in these difficult times
 for our nation.
http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm

Get a  sample letter that you can fax to your senator.
http://www.defenders.org/wildlife/arctic/actnow/sampleletter.html

Learn more about the Arctic Refuge and why oil from this pristine area
will not
lessen our dependence on foreign oil.
http://www.defenders.org/wildlife/arctic/actnow/about01.html

(2) Small Businesses, Limping, Feel Neglected by Aid Efforts

Many small businesses near the fallen World Trade Center are barely
clinging to
life, but unlike big business concerns from Midtown to Wall Street, the
mom-and-pop
shops, owners say, are dying fast below the radar of public knowledge or
official
 concern.  But many businesses have not yet decided whether to close up
shop
for good. They are waiting to hear how much relief they can expect from
the
Federal Emergency Management Agency, insurance companies and other
sources
of grants and low-interest loans before making that decision.  The
federal
Small Business Administration has issued more than 15,000 applications
for
low-interest loans, but has received back only 1,300 requests, "a very
small
rate of return," said Cynthia Speed, a spokeswoman for the agency. She
said it probably reflected the fact that many small-business owners were

already worried about their debt burdens. "They're thinking, `If I'm
about to
lose my business, what do I need a loan for?' " Ms. Speed said that
since
Sept. 11, 260 loans have been approved for $26 million. Nonetheless,
many
owners seem to want the cash flow that comes from grant money, and are
showing signs of pessimism about getting large chunks of it.  "As of
today,
no one has said anything to us about assistance," said Vivia Amalfitano,

whose family owns three restaurants in the red zone that have been shut
down since the attacks. "Why hasn't someone from the city or the state
said, `Look, we'll help you'?"

Source:
By SUSAN SAULNY
New York Times
October 12, 2001

(3) A University of Pennsylvania Study Uncovers 400,00 American Children

Using Survival Sex for Food and Shelter

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania unveiled the grim results
of a
three-year study of children under 18 living in the U.S. They found that
roughly
400,000 children, or 1 in 100, are victims of commercial sexual
exploitation.
Commercial sexual exploitation is defined in the study as a one-on-one,
interpersonal interaction in exchange for goods and services. And while
researchers found that most of these kids engage in sex to stay alive,
or
for "survival sex," using their bodies to secure food, shelter, or
clothing, some
children were also having sex for drugs or products they might not
otherwise
be able to afford.  Most "customers" are men, often married with
children of
their own, and men who are away from home for stretches at a time, at
conventions for example, or at truck stops during long road trips. Dr.
Neil
Weiner, a senior research associate at the Center for the Study of Youth

Policy at Penn, and one of the studys co-authors said,  "There was no
prior work we felt was credible. So we started out not knowing, hoping
the numbers would be insignificant. Unfortunately," he adds, "we were
wrong."

Source:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,174482,00.html
Monday, Sep. 10, 2001

INTERNATIONAL

(4) Diamond Miners Still Work for Just 12p a Day

Sierra Leone  this is where "conflict diamonds" come from. A middleman
sent from Freetown pays men working in the gold mines 500 leones (12p)
 a day plus a cup of rice. "This is the only job around here because the
war
has ended our agriculture," Rahman says. Some people say peace has come
to Sierra Leone after 10 years in which tens of thousands of people died

so that the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) could enrich itself by
winning control of the country's lucrative alluvial diamond deposits.
Even
though some measure of disarmament is going on, elections are planned
and a sponsor of the war, the Liberian President, Charles Taylor, is
subjected to United Nations sanctions, little has been done by the
United Nations and Britain to regulate the diamond trade the root
cause of the war.

 Mr Sessay's rebels have been responsible for hundreds of child
abductions,
rapes and amputations. "Everyone is mining for diamonds here,"
Brigadier Issa Sessay, leader of the RUF, says. "There are people
mining for the government, for the civil defense forces and for private
individuals  not just the RUF." And he is speaking the truth: the
Freetown
government is also deeply involved. There is nothing illegal in that the
diamonds
are here, and they are among the finest and cheapest to exploit in the
world.
Morlai Kamara, from the Canadian-backed Campaign For Just Mining, says:
"You could say there are no longer blood diamonds coming out of Sierra
Leone.
But children are still being put to work by middlemen and the conditions

endured by the miners continue to be appalling."

Source:

For related stories:
ASIA-PACIFIC ACTIVISTS PLAN TO FIGHT MULTINATIONAL MINING,

Follow the Mining Money: An Activist Toolkit for Direct Corporate
Campaigning

(5)  Britain Blocks Protection for Indigenous People
At the World Conference Against Racism in Durban, the Government is
backing a clause in the final declaration stating that "the use of the
term
'indigenous peoples'... cannot be construed as having any implications
rights under international law".  The 300 million indigenous people
includes
Maoris, Aboriginals and Native Americans.  Britain does not have
indigenous
minorities. But political sources said the Government, represented by
the Home
Office minister Angela Eagle, was acting on behalf of Canada and
Australia
because those countries would be in a "politically difficult" position
if they
 tried openly to curtail the rights of their own minorities.  Joe
Hedger, an
Aboriginal representing the Human Rights Council of Australia, said:
"The
move totally undermines the pursuit of self-determination and thus
fundamental rights like land ownership, culture, language, fishing and
hunting
rights. It is a slap in the face to human rights."

Source:
http://www.eniar.org/news/independent3.html
World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and
Related Intolerance

(6) Anti-GM Amallholders in the Amazon Demand Justice over Series of
Killings

Ranchers allegedly arranged the murders of eight Brazilian peasant
leaders this
summer to silence them or to grab their smallholdings in Amazonia, and
45
farmers are said to be on a new hitlist in a long-running dispute over
their
right to grow GM-free crops. About 800 organic soya-bean farmers
gathered
in the city of Belem last week with members of the Landless Workers'
Movement
and aid workers to demand the killers be brought to justice. They say
the ranchers'
political clout and military backing has led to 19 deaths in their
ranks, eight this year.
The ranchers, with outside investors, are putting pressure on the
cash-strapped
 federal government to drop a longstanding ban on GM crops. The farmers
also
complained that large-scale cattle farming and timber felling was
ruining the
drainage in the state of Para, where they farm.

At a citizens' court in the city, a jury voted unanimously before the
planting
season to uphold a ban on genetically modified crops. Martin Dickler,
from
the British agency ActionAid, who attended the trial, said:"[The
farmers] are
insisting on sufficient laboratory research before doing field tests,
much less
 patenting and commercialization of genetically modified organisms."

The bulk of the farmers' harvests goes to the suppliers of British
supermarkets Asda and Tesco, which have policies not to sell the
meat or milk of animals fed with GM soya. The farmers fear that lifting
 the ban would threaten their farming methods and increase dependence
on multinational GM seed firms such as Monsanto.

Source:
http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=98230
By Jan McGirk, Latin America Correspondent

For more on GM debate:
A CALL TO ACTION:NATIONAL DAY OF LABELING ACTION AGAINST
GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOOD.
October 30th 2001 - First national day of GE food labeling -
The Citizens Voluntary Labeling Brigade needs you!
Action ideas:
* take peaceful direct action to label products
* Frankenstein could visit the local supermarket
* table at a supermarket
* Write to your local newspaper
* Talk to local farmers about GE
* lobby your representative..
Institute for Social Ecology, Biotechnology Project
Northeast Resistance Against Genetic Engineering
1118 Maple Hill Road
Plainfield, VT 05667
(802) 454-9957
info at nerage.org  |  www.nerage.org

(7) Poverty, Health Problems Worse in Developing Countries Dependent
 on Oil and Mining

Developing countries that rely heavily on oil or mineral exports suffer
higher
rates of poverty and child mortality, and spend more on their militaries
than
similar countries with more diverse economies, according to a study
released
by Oxfam America.  The report contests the conventional economic wisdom
that developing nations prosper by extracting and exporting their oil
and
mineral wealth.

According to the Oxfam report, that when countries are dependent on oil
and mineral exports, "they have difficulty diversifying their economy
and
promoting sectors like agriculture and manufacturing... [this
dependence]
becomes an obstacle to pro-poor types of economic activity." There are
some measures it proposes should be applied: help poor countries
diversify
their economies to make them less dependent on oil and mining, removal
by
OECD states of tariff barriers that block export of processed minerals
and
petroleum products, transparency of loans to governments, aid only to
states
committed to democracy and fighting poverty, and careful monitoring of
revenues.

Recent protests against the World Bank have focused on the
bank's support for large-scale oil and mining projects, which critics
see as environmentally and socially destructive. As a result, the Bank
will
begin a review of its involvement in these sectors, consulting with
industry
representatives, governments, and nongovernmental organizations. The
Bank launches the review in Brussels on Oct. 29. Keith Slack, a policy
advisor for Oxfam America, says "the Bank should begin its review by
questioning whether these sectors really do contribute to sustainable
poverty reduction."

Source:
http://www.business-humanrights.org/Children.htm

For more information see , or the World Bank's extractive industries
review website at .
Contact:
Keith Slack or Andy Izquierdo, Oxfam America 202/496-1197
Prof. Michael Ross, UCLA 310/710-7115
Deborah Rephan, Fenton Communications 202/822-5200

(8) Plenty of Pain to Share in Zimbabwe Land Reform

Mr. Mugabe, 77, first came to power in 1980 in elections that ended all
white rule. He vowed then to return land that was stolen by British
settlers
from blacks in this country. It is a promise that few people have
forgotten,
and with his standing waning after 21 years in power, the president
has spent the past year reviving an issue that has great resonance
among black voters. On hundreds of farms across the country, government
 officials and black squatters say they are reviving their young
country's
 liberation struggle and redrawing the colonial map that left a tiny
white
minority with more than half this nation's fertile land.

After 18 months of attacks against white farmers, black farm workers and

opposition party supporters that have left more than 30 people dead,
both
whites and blacks here at Uitkyk farm and elsewhere are feeling
increasingly betrayed. Zimbabwe promised last month to remove illegal
squatters, to crack down on violence and intimidation and to carry out
its
land program lawfully. In return, Britain agreed to help finance the
purchase of land for black settlers. But conflicts have continued. In
recent
weeks, government officials, who often say they have successfully
resettled 130,000 households, have acknowledged that many black
families have actually been stranded on arid stretches without adequate
water or sanitation. The government, which publicly claims to have
acquired
as many as 4,000 farms over the past 18 months, has acquired only about
91, court records and government reports show. But few deny that
Zimbabwe is paying a devastating price for a land program that has
yet to bear much fruit.

The invasions of white-owned farms and the recent waves of political
 violence have left an already struggling economy in tatters. Between
1999 and 2000, foreign investment plunged by 89 percent, government
statistics show. The economy is expected to shrink by 8 percent this
year. Unemployment stands at about 60 percent, and for the first time
in a decade, severe hunger is settling over parts of the country. In an
interview, a senior official acknowledged for the first time that a
small
number of people have already died from hunger in the southern district
 of Mberengwa, a community of about 170,000. Experts say the food
shortages have been caused primarily by two seasons of unusually bad
weather, with alternating periods of severe flooding and drought
destroying
 the crops of black farmers with small holdings. But they say the farm
 invasions have also played a role. "The problem is not with them,
really,"
 Mrs. Campbell, a white farm owner said. "We can see that the problem of
 land has to be addressed. We know there is a need for change. We
 just want government to follow the law. And then, we will all just try
to pick up the pieces and try to start again."

Source:
http://profileafrica.com/Inthenews9.htm
By RACHEL L. SWARNS
October 7, 2001

For more information, to order Food First Books,or to join our member-supported organization, go to:
http://www.foodfirst.org.
Or send your tax-deductible check to:
Food First, 398 60th St. Oakland, CA 94618

This email was sent to: asia-apec at jca.ax.apc.org