[asia-apec 1631] US-China Relations

Interhemispheric Resource Center ircalb at swcp.com
Sat Nov 4 01:56:11 JST 2000

FOREIGN POLICY IN FOCUS
http://www.foreignpolicy-infocus.org/

The Big Issues in U.S.-China Relations: The Silent Debate
By John Gershman, Asia-Pacific Editor, Foreign Policy In Focus
http://www.foreignpolicy-infocus.org/commentary/chinaissues.html

In a presidential election in which foreign policy occupies a less
than central role, it may come as no surprise that
U.S.-China relations are virtually absent from the debate. As
LA Times columnist Jim Mann observed regarding the
presidential campaign and U.S. policy toward China, "The country
ought to be having a debate, but instead our political leaders
act as though they have all been afflicted by an epidemic of lockjaw."
Indeed, there appears to be a more public debate in China about
U.S.-China relations than in the United States.

To read complete text:
http://www.foreignpolicy-infocus.org/commentary/chinaissues.html

This commentary was printed in today's issue of the Progressive Response,
FPIF's e-journal on US foreign policy and world affairs.
The Progressive Response is designed to keep the writers, contributors,
and readers of the Foreign Policy In Focus (FPIF) series informed about
new issues and debates concerning U.S. foreign policy issues. The purpose
of the “Issues of Debate” section is to serve as a forum to discuss
issues of controversy--not to express the institutional position of either the
Institute for Policy Studies or the Interhemispheric Resource Center. We
encourage you to submit your comments and opinions.
Send comments to tim at irc-online.org

best regards,
Tim McGivern