[asia-apec 1301] Fw: Please call for East Timor today

Arno Mong Daastoel arno at daastol.com
Fri Sep 17 20:04:11 JST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Dr Alan Cheney
To: ARodrig858 at aol.com ; arnomd at online.no ; arnoldrubin at igc.org ; arnes002 at maroon.tc.umn.edu ; armsa at uchastings.edu ; armele at laneta.apc.org ; arlepe at hotmail.com ; arivera at gdl.cinvestav.mx ; ariffin at usm.my ; Ariff_Hajee at together.org ; arielf at cyberus.ca ; ariany at cantv.net ; arianna at atasite.org ; arena at hk.net ; ardillahunt at igc.org ; arcoredes at laneta.apc.org ; arcoiris at alsernet.es ; arcla at envirolink.org ; arc at igc.apc.org ; aranch at sjm.infi.net ; araguaia at ax.apc.org ; arabny at doleh.com ; aquiroz at cecusac.gdl.iteso.mx ; aqs85905 at jetson.uh.edu ; aq at ed.ac.uk ; APTI at compuserve.com ; apsari at socrates.berkeley.edu ; appasec at tm.net.my ; aposada at col1.telecom.com.co ; apoirier at igc.org ; apmmf at HK.Super.NET ; aplyer at igc.org ; apjpyama at blue.ocn.ne.jp ; apis at laneta.apc.org ; apgro at mail.dntiasi.ro ; apeters at osi-dc.org ; apersyko at labornet.org ; apen at igc.org ; apen at igc.apc.org ; apecforum-l at netserver.web.net ; apdhe at cibeles.com ; apcjp at igc.apc.org ; apalmer at uic.edu ; ap888 at lafn.org ; AP2250 at aol.com ; aoneill at alum.calberkeley.org ; aochoa at ggnpa.org ; anzar at ne-con.co.jp ; anwar.fazal at undp.org
Sent: Friday, September 17, 1999 9:15 AM
Subject: Please call for East Timor today

Very Urgent Action Alert
September 16, 1999

Phone Your Representative and Senators Immediately to Unblock Relief
Shipments to East Timor and to Support HR 2809 and S.1568

The situation of the refugees in East Timor is dire. According to the U.N.
Food and Agricultural Organization, about 200,000 East Timorese are at risk
of starvation if they do not immediately receive relief supplies. But the
Indonesian military (TNI) is not cooperating. The TNI is effectively
blocking Australian efforts to drop relief packages (see article below).

As part of your calls to your Congressional Representative and Senators to
garner support for HR 2809 and S.1568 (see the Urgent Action of September
15), urge Congress and the Senate to work to put immediate pressure on
Jakarta to stop the blocking of the relief airdrops.

The congressional switchboard number is 202-224-3121 or check
www.congress.gov or www.visi.com/juan/congress/ for additional contact information.

Apologies to non-U.S. recipients.  Please call your local East Timor action group and ask how you can help.

For more information, contact Karen Orenstein at 202-544-6911 or
etanko at igc.org.

East Timor relief drops delayed by Indonesian military: PM

SYDNEY, Sept 16 (AFP) - Australian Prime Minister John Howard said aid
drops into East Timor were not likely to go ahead Thursday because the
safety of the planes could not be assured.

Howard told Channel Nine television Australia had yet to get an Indonesian
military guarantee they would not shoot down the planes carrying
much-needed aid.

He said difficulties were being experienced because there were no clear
lines of command in Indonesia.

"We had hoped today," Howard said. "The prospect of that, I was told a few
for more minutes ago, are not all that bright because we're still having
trouble getting certain assurances from the Indonesian military authorities.

"We can't take the risk of the planes being shot down because they're
needed for other things but we want to get the aid in as soon as possible.

"Now we're working on that over time. We've got the approval of the
Indonesian minister but we haven't got the approval of the Indonesian
military."

Australian troops will help deliver the aid once it arrives on the ground.

"Under the United Nations resolution, one of the tasks of the force is to
facilitate the provision of humanitarian assistance," Howard said.

END