[asia-apec 1342] Food First Challenges BioTech

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Wed Nov 10 09:34:47 JST 1999

NEW PAPER FROM FOOD FIRST CHALLENGES BIOTECHNOLOGY MYTHS

Ten reasons why biotechnology will not ensure food security, protect the
environment and reduce poverty in the developing world

by Miguel A. Altieri,
University of California, Berkeley

and

Peter Rosset,
Food First/Institute for Food and Development Policy,
Oakland, California

October 1999

   Biotechnology companies often claim that genetically modified
organisms (GMOs) -- specifically genetically altered seeds -- are
essential scientific breakthroughs needed to feed the world, protect the
environment, and reduce poverty in developing countries. This view rests
on two critical assumptions, both of which we question. The first is
that hunger is due to a gap between food production and human population
density or growth rate. The second is that genetic engineering is the
only or best way to increase agricultural production and thus meet
future food needs.

   We challenge the notion of biotechnology as a magic bullet solution
to agriculture's ills, by clarifying misconceptions concerning these
underlying assumptions.

Full paper on-line at:

http://www.foodfirst.org/resources/biotech/altieri-11-99.html

Join the fight against hunger. For more information contact foodfirst at foodfirst.org.