[asia-apec 1119] Women Chain Against VFA

tpl at cheerful.com tpl at cheerful.com
Sun May 9 13:25:25 JST 1999

From: GABRIELA <gab at mnl.sequel.net>

PRESS RELEASE

WOMEN LINK ARMS AGAINST VFA AND US MILITARISM IN ASIA

Thousands of women today formed a human chain spanning more than 3
kilometers from the Philippine Senate to the US Embassy in a symbolic
protest against the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between the US and
Philippine governments.

"We link arms today to show the Filipino women's strong opposition against
the VFA.  Much as our government choose to dismiss our protests against the
VFA and its accompanying social costs, we refuse to be ignored and implore
that the senate heed our call".  This was the statement made by GABRIELA,
which led the Women Chain Against VFA.

A delegation composed of representatives of participating women and
people's organizations headed by GABRIELA Secretary General Liza Maza
presented to the Senate 10,000 signatures in a petition against VFA. "These
signatures represent the voices of ordinary women seeking national
sovereignty and security from threats to the lives and well-being of
Filipino men, women and children."

So far, only Senators Raul Roco, Sergio Osmena and Teofisto Guingona have
expressed opposition to the VFA. The protesters, at the same time,
criticised pro-VFA senators for opting to "secure their political power and
personal interest" at the expense of our sovereignty and the lives and
well-being of our people.

Around 3,000 individuals representing more than 50 organizations took part
in the Women Chain Against VFA. They included workers, peasants, urban
poor, youth & students, fisherfolk, indigenous peoples, church people,
health workers & professionals, lawyers, teachers, artists and
environmentalists.

The VFA will allow US military access to as much as 22 ports all over the
country and thus give American forces landing, berthing, and
extraterritorial rights and privileges on any part of the Philippine
territory. It also grants unhampered entry and virtual lifting of the
constitutional ban on nuclear weapons.

It will likewise lead to increased prostitution and trafficking of women
and children, drug trafficking, sexual abuses, spread of STD's and HIV/AIDS
and increased number of street children fathered by visiting US military
men. These will happen as they did in the past in the Subic Naval Base,
Olongapo City and Clark Air Base, Angeles City as well as other US military
bases in the Pacific Rim such as South Korea and Okinawa.

The VFA ensures U.S. military dominance in, and control of, the world's
biggest and still fastest growing markets.  It is a defilement of national
sovereignty, security and safety.